Anyone using Linux here?

Nemix

Frost-bitten
Jul 14, 2006
Post the Distro your currently using, your top 3 favorite Linux Distros and why you would recommend...

- Currently running Linux Mint

Apollo said:
I dont use linux

You don't say? :shocked:

Now does anyone wanna make a post who's actually using Linux.

Recommend me a good Distro

Any that are easy to install (kinda like windows)

Got a old computer in the corner thats on windows 95 that I want to start messin round with

I've never used Linux - but it appeals to me greatly as Microsoft have been raping me up the ass with their sh*tty "Windows", ever since the good ol days of Windows 95...

Ubuntu's a good distro (I personally use Kubuntu). Easy to install, easy to add new apps, easy in general to work with. But still based on Debian, so the hardcore uber-tweakability is still there. It's a good all-around distro for new users. I use Kubuntu because I prefer KDE to GNOME.

Lots of people are flocking to Fedora 7, and SuSE is usually a good choice.

Keep in mind that, especially on newer hardware, some tweaking will be involved, typically with wireless networking, nVidia drivers, and ATI drivers. I believe ATI has gotten a little better lately, but I don't have a box with an ATI card anymore to be able to say for sure.

I personally haven't ever cared much for the RPM-based distros (RedHat, Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake/Mandriva, etc), but that's simply a personal preference from days long gone. Being an old Solaris geek, I just never liked the layout of the systems. IMHO, Debian got it right, and that's been translated well by the guys at Canonical with their Ubuntu efforts.

jjkrueger said:
Lots of people are flocking to Fedora 7, and SuSE is usually a good choice.

I personally haven't ever cared much for the RPM-based distros (RedHat, Fedora, SuSE, Mandrake/Mandriva, etc), but that's simply a personal preference from days long gone. Being an old Solaris geek, I just never liked the layout of the systems. IMHO, Debian got it right, and that's been translated well by the guys at Canonical with their Ubuntu efforts.

Is it me or dose that make no sence

Damn brain

I use Mandriva. I have a whole drawer full of live discs that I tried out and Mandriva and Ubuntu are the only distributions that I really liked. I used to use Ubuntu, but one day after an Ubuntu update something got ****ed and the GUI would no longer start, and I'm not experienced enough with Linux to be able to find the cause of and fix a problem through the command line, so I just uninstalled it and installed Mandriva.

I'm currently using Ubuntu 6.06. Other distros I've used in the past are Suse (versions 6.3, 7.1, 8.1 & 9.2), Redhat 5.2 & 4.1.

Back