Brothers In Arms - First Trailer Online

I wonder if its gonna be online. It better be if its gonna compete with MOH:H2.

They got an Interview online, now, too.

IGN said:
US, November 21, 2007 - EA's Medal of Honor Heroes 2 is currrently the best traditional first-person shooter on Wii, but publisher Ubisoft hopes to change all that with the release of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 for Nintendo's console. The title is developed by Gearbox Software and set for a January release. We recently caught up with producer Stephen Palmer to learn more about the project. In addition, we've posted new screenshots and first-ever Wii footage in our media sections below.

IGN Wii: Some sites were recently reporting that Brothers in Arms Wii was cancelled. Can you please end the rumor for our readers? What's going on with that?

Stephen Palmer: We're not sure how this rumor started, but we can assure you that it's 100% false! Brothers in Arms for the Wii is very much alive and will be making its appearance on store shelves before you know it.

IGN Wii: Is Brothers in Arms for the Wii a brand new game, or is it a port of an existing BIA title?

Stephen Palmer: This is a difficult one to answer. Brothers in Arms Wii is a collection of the first two games in the Brothers in Arms series. Our goal was to introduce Nintendo customers to the Brothers in Arms series of games and get them caught up with what happened in Brothers in Arms Road to Hill 30 and Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood. In order to accomplish this goal, we had to basically recreate both games all over again. Much of the code had to be reworked to run on the Wii, a bulk of the content had to be re-created and an entirely new control scheme that took advantage of the Wii had to be created. So basically, we spent the entire development cycle making sure that Wii customers were able to truly experience the Brothers in Arms story to date.

IGN Wii: How do you control the game and what types of sensitivity/customization/layout options will you make available to FPS purists?

Stephen Palmer: We've created two major control layout options that are built around two fundamentally different principals. The default layout will be familiar to those that enjoy and are comfortable with the vast majority of FPS Wii titles - the Wii remote is used for both aiming and view rotation, while the nunchuk controls strafe and forward-back movement. The alternate, or "expert" configuration as we are calling it, is where we've tried to innovate a little bit. One of my biggest complaints with Wii FPS games is the burden placed on the player to continuously point the Wii remote at the television, or else risk staring at the ground if you just want to rest your arm for a minute. The expert configuration decouples the view rotation from aiming - your Wii remote only aims the weapon, and the nunchuk turns left-right and moves forward-back. To strafe, you will hold the Z button on the nunchuk to essentially enable a free-look mode. This is my personal favorite, but it won't be for everyone. Beyond these two major control scheme options, there are a few more adjustments for pointer sensitivity that are accessible to the player.

IGN Wii: Have you played Medal of Honor and Call of Duty for Wii? Where do you think the control setup for BIA ranks among the these games?

Stephen Palmer: We played (and played and played) every existing FPS during development, and worked hard to set a new standard for Wii FPS controls. I think gamers will appreciate the effort we put into it, both FPS purists and casual gamers that haven't played every FPS out there.

IGN Wii: We had heard rumors that Gearbox was initially exploring the option of utilizing a version of Unreal Engine 3 for BIA on Wii. What happened with that, if anything?

Stephen Palmer: We're not really allowed to comment on that at the moment, but that sure does sound like a fun challenge, doesn't it?

IGN Wii: How many levels are included in the shooter and what types of places will gamers explore? Can you give us a few examples?

Stephen Palmer: There are over 35 missions between the two titles, Road to Hill 30 and Earned in Blood. There is a huge variety of play environments that stretch across the Normandy region of France. Farmland criss-crossed with hedgerows, idyllic towns and villages, gothic cathedrals, industrial complexes - there's a little bit of everything in this game.

IGN Wii: Just how interactive are the environments?

Stephen Palmer: Brothers in Arms is all about using real squad tactics to defeat the enemy. The environment provides cover for you and your squad while also presenting the player with challenging tactical puzzles to solve as you maneuver to outflank the enemy. Along the way you'll have the opportunity to use fixed-place machine gun to repel strong counterattacks, but you'll also have to face tough dug-in enemy artillery, like mortars and 88mm cannons. The environment is your best friend and sometimes your worst enemy!

IGN Wii: Many war games use scripted sequences to great effect. How are you doing this in BIA to enhance the atmosphere and presentation?

Stephen Palmer: One of the hallmarks of the Brothers in Arms games is that they tell a rich story with compelling characters in a historical context. There are tons of very cool scripted events that the player will witness and even experience throughout Road to Hill 30 and the sequel, Earned in Blood.

IGN Wii: What, visually, are you most proud of about the game?

Stephen Palmer: We've pushed the Wii hardware to the limit in its ability to render realistic environments. Brothers in Arms is full of wide open spaces, rolling country side, lush foliage, as well as accurately recreated villages, iconic homes and churches, and other historical structures and landscapes. Brothers in Arms stands out because of the attention to detail in bringing 1944 Normandy to life.

IGN Wii: Does the title run in 16:9 and pro-scan modes?

Stephen Palmer: Yes, all combinations of progressive, interlaced, normal and wide-screen aspect ratios are supported.

IGN Wii: What target framerate will the game run at?

Stephen Palmer: Our target is 30 FPS.

IGN Wii: What is your opinion of the Wii system? Do you think developers have really pushed it as far as they can?

Stephen Palmer: Like any new system there's going to be a learning curve. What's fun about developing for the Wii is that there are things to learn about doing the most with the hardware, but there's also a lot to learn about the controllers. As developers get more experience with the Wii, you're going to start seeing better and more clever use of the controllers. I think we're just scratching the surface of what's possible with the Wii's unique input.

IGN Wii: What does BIA do better than any other Wii game, in your opinion?

Stephen Palmer: Our main focus for the Brothers in Arms series has always been storytelling. We like to think that Wii customers will experience some of the best storytelling to date on the system with Brothers in Arms. Beyond that, we're really proud of the graphics of the game. The games are really beautiful on the Wii. Finally, we hope that people like the control implementation we created. It's a ton of fun ordering your squad around using real hand gestures.

No word on Multiplayer, so it probably won't be in. And Control settings sound awkward, they better give options like in MoH H2.
So they try to bring the Unreal Engine 3 to the Wii? Hmmm, that can be either amazingly awesome or disgustingly aweful. I'll wait and see.

I'm sorry, but if they can get a good multiplayer in there..I would Definitely get this game....MOH:H2 is awesome, don't get me wrong...But it really pisses me off with how inaccurate, and unbalanced the guns are...I swear I can shoot someone's block off with a shotgun from point blank range, twice, they live, turn around and shoot me once with a .45 and I'm done! And melee is useless! You try to strike someone but they ghost right through you and you don't even know if you hit the guy or not.

Even if the texture may look like crap and stuff..If they can really improve upon those elements of multiplayer, I'm getting it without a second question!

yea if it has has good online with their own servers then i'm trading in my mohh2 game for this. I noticed that the aimer is small meaning its more accurate and sniper shots are actually 1 shot 1 kill. And there lots of newbs cause the guy in the end is just waiting to die.

Yeah I hope they can get online in this title, Heroes 2 is good but the truth is we need more online shooters!!!! And if Nintendo won't give it to us then a trhid-party must. Let's hope that they take the time to do it.

Renz said:
And there lots of newbs cause the guy in the end is just waiting to die.

Actually, yes, he is. Maybe you haven't played Brothers In Arms yet, in fact, this guy is yelling "You want me!? TAKE MEEE!" The guy is an soldier that you meet some times in the game. He's kind of an intellectual, saying things like "How can something so beautiful be part of something so horrible." A really nice guy. Too Bad he dies in that scene.

Back