Cables?

iviv

WiiChat Member
Nov 6, 2006
Hi,

I know that the Wii will be shipping with a composite RCA cable, and that a component cable will also be available.
But what more is known about the cables. Are there going to be other types of cable available? Will component be available from launch? (I'm in the UK).
I'm going to be buying a PC monitor to play my Wii on, since we have to pay for a TV lisence over here, and I'm going to be getting a new PC soon, so I will be using the monitor to play Wii and PC.

So, what cables are there, and when will they be available? Thanks ^^

I think you can't play the Wii in a PC Monitor, Nintendo already specified that

Hmm, did they say that they won't release a cable to directly let you plug it in to a monitor? That would really suck if they did, since I would have to go out an buy a TV, just to play my Wii >_>

iviv said:
Hi,

I know that the Wii will be shipping with a composite RCA cable, and that a component cable will also be available.
But what more is known about the cables. Are there going to be other types of cable available? Will component be available from launch? (I'm in the UK).
I'm going to be buying a PC monitor to play my Wii on, since we have to pay for a TV lisence over here, and I'm going to be getting a new PC soon, so I will be using the monitor to play Wii and PC.

So, what cables are there, and when will they be available? Thanks ^^

WTF? TV License? Explain please and where do you live in the UK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licencing_in_the_United_Kingdom

£140 a year if you own a TV. This allows the BBC to broadcast non-stop programs, no adverts every 15 mins. Basically, if you have a TV you would have to pay this charge. But if you set up the TV so its not receiving any signal on any of the channels, you should be fine.

I'm a student studying at Northumbria university. I'm living in a flat in Newcastle upon Tyne.

hey

I think there are a number of Composite to VGA boxes around for game consoles, but I read that you must be careful, as the picture quality can be quite low on some or something. It would be nice if there was a nice/cheap VGA box that supports both Composite and Component, I haven't really done much searching for one, so I dunno.

I have found mods for converting either Component or D-Terminal cables into VGA (hd-15), but I'm not sure if games that don't support 480p (progressive scan) would display properly.

Ohh, and I think there were a number of places which sold 3rd party VGA Cables for the GameCube, but I don't think they would work. But maybe you should lookout for something simular for the Wii.

I actually started a thread about this sorta stuff... but it didn't go far... see About Wii + PC + Monitor + Speakers.

cya

Back