can someone tell me what nintendo means in japanese

thas

Canadian/Gamer for life
Sep 17, 2007
Canada
Wii Online Code
4614-1471-6665-4276
i dont know how the japanese call nintendo. i want to know what nintendo means. also can you provide proof.

thas said:
i dont know how the japanese call nintendo. i want to know what nintendo means. also can you provide proof.
Nintendo is just a brand. It means nothing.

It is easy to say in all languages.

This is also why the Wii is called the Wii

FRuMMaGe said:
It is easy to say in all languages.
And yet my dad continues to refer to any and all gaming consoles as 'Nahtendo's.'

LevesqueIsKing said:
And yet my dad continues to refer to any and all gaming consoles as 'Nahtendo's.'
I saw a great Simpsons episode the other day.

Superintendant Charmers was walking down the corridor and Ralph said "Hello SuperNintendo Charmers!"

It made me lol :lol:

Hi Thas, quoted from the French wikipedia on Nintendo :
"Créée le 23 septembre 1889, Nintendo se nomme d'abord Nintendo Koppaï ( qui peut se traduire en français par « Laissons les dieux en décider » ou bien « Nous faisons de notre mieux et nous attendons les résultats »)"
Or in english, Nintendo Koppai means : "Let the gods decide"or "let us do our best and see the result". Probably referrinfg to the fact that Nintendo started in the 19th century as a company making playing cards (Hanafuda cards, not the usual 52 cards deck) that were used mostly for gambling in Japan.
Usually, North East Asian company names have a meaning as they are written with chinese characters (especially old companies) and Chinese characters always have a meaning.

Hope I answered your question !

LevesqueIsKing said:

Does he ask you which "game tape" you're playing?

Arnaud said:
"Let the gods decide"or "let us do our best and see the result".

thank you. you were the first one who gave me the answer i was looking for. if the rest of you actually read the question i said that i wanted to know what the word meant NOT how the japanese called nintendo in japan. i dont see why you guys got confused.

I remember reading somewhere that "Nintendo" means "Leave luck to heaven" in Japanese, but I am not exactly sure where I read it.

Smileface said:
hahaha
it doesn't mean anything.
it's just a brand name.
for example, Chevrolet, and Microsoft. They dont mean anything. they are just names.
common mistake buddy!! I think . . .

nintendo does mean something. i did some more research and nintendo is the cobination of 3 japanese Kanji word which are Nin Ten Do. and like some one said before it is something along the lines of enturst luck to heaven or work hard and everything will be yours.

Back