can wii games be copied for back ups??

wolfsmane

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2007
i've got the Wii for my 10 y.o. daughter.

can the games be copied for back up purposes?

thanks

So, when you say "not yet," you mean someone will make a "backup" tool?

Because... I need to "backup" lots of games :ihih:

Nah, joking. Every game I own is legitimate...

The problem with making "backups" for Wii games is that the drive reads the disc from the outer edge to the centre. Whereas conventional drives read from the inner edge to the outer edge, so you would need a special drive that would read the disc properly, a cheap trick Nintendo has used to overcome people wanting to make "backups". They did this for GC aswell, hence the Wii's ability to play them.

Oceanic said:
The problem with making "backups" for Wii games is that the drive reads the disc from the outer edge to the centre. Whereas conventional drives read from the inner edge to the outer edge, so you would need a special drive that would read the disc properly, a cheap trick Nintendo has used to overcome people wanting to make "backups". They did this for GC aswell, hence the Wii's ability to play them.

However this was gotten around pretty quickly after people realized there was demand for gamecube modifications. Don't know when we can play backups on our Wii's but I imagine it'll be done in the coming months. By the way, you can already make the backups but it takes an insane amount of time to do so with a tool someone/group made. No way of knowing if they work or not.

acphydro said:
By the way, you can already make the backups but it takes an insane amount of time to do so with a tool someone/group made. No way of knowing if they work or not.

thanks for all the replies.

acphydro, can you please elaborate a little more on your reply?

wolfsmane said:
thanks for all the replies.

acphydro, can you please elaborate a little more on your reply?

here is a link to the process

You can't play them yet, but backups are able to be made but we have no way of verifying if they actually work or not. Do a search on google for "nintendo wii development and hacking forums" first link should provide you with wii development information. Not sure what else you wanted elaborated on.

I wonder if there will be a way to actually play the wii backups say by putting them on a SD card (if less than 2GB) with an iso loader for example?

Haz said:
Does the term, 'DVD-Backup' actualy stand up in court?

If that is what you are really using it for, yes.
Fair use laws allow you to make a backup copy incase of damage to the original.

It does not allow you to give out copies to others, or use other people's backups obviously.

you can back up wii games, you cant load them as of yet but you can back them up, however there are only like 2 brands of dvd drives that can do it and i cant remember them off the top of my head. And it can also take up to 50 hours to back up a single game.

I love the Wii sports game (disc) that came with the Console. Since it is included for free with the console in US, you don't see it for sale in store shelves. Now what if after 6 months of use, you have serious scratches on the disc but you can't buy it to replace it. Would Nintendo ship you one free of charge or you are out of luck? It would be nice for a way to back it up (hey, there shouldn't be a need for piracy of this game, it is included for free with every console)

Back