can wii games be copied for back ups??

wolfsmane said:
you answered it, thanks.

again, thanks, all , for the help.

:thumbsup: :cornut:

No problem. I haven't tried it myself but it I've heard that the process does work. Just no way to play 'em yet.

kooda said:
I love the Wii sports game (disc) that came with the Console. Since it is included for free with the console in US, you don't see it for sale in store shelves. Now what if after 6 months of use, you have serious scratches on the disc but you can't buy it to replace it. Would Nintendo ship you one free of charge or you are out of luck? It would be nice for a way to back it up (hey, there shouldn't be a need for piracy of this game, it is included for free with every console)
... But people will do more then just Wii-Sports

If the boat is cheap I may hop on.

GreenEnvy said:
If that is what you are really using it for, yes.
Fair use laws allow you to make a backup copy incase of damage to the original.

It does not allow you to give out copies to others, or use other people's backups obviously.

See, that is not totally correct. There is judicial precedent (talking about the US here) for making a backup copy of a copyrighted work being protected by fair use. Until the DMCA you would absolutely be right. The DMCA (Digital Millenium Copyright Act), however, states that it is illegal to circumvent any encryption that is intended to protect a copyrighted work from unauthorized duplication. Since DVDs have (rather pathetic) encryption in the form of CSS (Content Scramble System). Even though CSS is a pathetically weak form of encryption it is encryption nonetheless and potentially subject to the circumvention of encryption clause in the DMCA. Of course, the DMCA has not yet been tested in the judicial system and it is possible that this clause will be overturned...

I'm no lawyer so it is also possible that I have no idea what I'm talking about (gotta cover myself...hehe).

Yea the DMCA is an interesting piece of work, it will be interesting to see who they side with in most cases, though I know of at least 1 case where the right to a backup was upheld.

maniackman, anything is possible. One day there will be a Wii mod chip I am sure.

maniackman said:
is it or will it ever be possible to get a Wii chipped????

I bloody hope so... All of my consoles have some sort of chip/modification device that allows me to play games from over seas...

Back