CAT6 cable OK?

CarbonRain

WiiChat Member
Aug 21, 2009
I currently have a wii, and want to connect it to the internet. It's just a 4 ethernet port, no wireless. I'm going to buy an ethernet - USB thing, and a nice long cable. I've heard I have to use CAT5 - but is CAT6 okay?

Cheers

CAT6 is backward compatible with CAT5/5E and CAT3, so it should work fine, though I can't say 100% for certain since I use wireless for Wii and have yet needed to use CAT6 for anything. As far as what I've read the only difference between CAT5 and CAT6 is the cable carries 8 twisted pairs instead of the 4 in CAT5, and has more stringent standards for noise and crosstalk.

Last edited:
CAT6 is backward compatible with CAT5/5E and CAT3, so it should work fine, though I can't say 100% for certain since I use wireless for Wii and have yet needed to use CAT6 for anything. As far as what I've read the only difference between CAT5 and CAT6 is the cable carries 8 twisted pairs instead of the 4 in CAT5, and has more stringent standards for noise and crosstalk.

Thanks, it's the only cable you can buy these days anyway ;) I think it'll be fine, from what you've said.

Back