changing router channel

No, the laptop will detect the channel automatically. It will momentarily lose the connection but then automatically reconnect on the new channel.

ok well i have a linksys and how would i change the channel

PwnMastr said:
ok well i have a linksys and how would i change the channel
It may vary from model to model but I configure mine by surfing to:

http://192.168.1.1

Enter the password (the default password is admin...you should change it to something else).

Then click on the "Wireless" tab. The first page of wireless settings will have the channel. There are really only three channels which don't overlap each other: 1, 6, and 11.

If you haven't set up wireless security, you really should. By default, your wireless network is open to the public. That means anyone near you can use your Internet connection as well as snoop on your unencrypted network traffic. I recommend using mode "WPA2 Personal" and algorithm "AES". The "shared key" you make up will be the password you enter into your laptop and Wii to access the wireless network. Technically, you should configure the wireless security settings using a network cable connection to your router rather than your existing wireless connection otherwise someone could see the shared key you enter. But they'd have to be snooping on you at that very moment so it's probably pretty unlikely. If you are using a wireless connection, you will lose it as soon as you save the security settings. To reconnect you'll need to configure your laptop with the new wireless security settings (WPA2 Personal, AES, and the shared key you made up).

If you want to read more about this stuff, there are manuals in PDF format available for download from the Linksys web site (http://www.linksys.com/). Go to "technical support" and click "choose a product". Then choose "wireless routers". Once you finally navigate down to your model and version, download the "user guide". Is the Linksys web site a pain in the a** to navigate? :yesnod:

Good luck and don't blame me if everything goes terribly wrong. :)

is there a way to have security without having to do a lot of stuff on the laptop its my dads not mine

Last edited:
you can hide the network on the router settings, but it just means that the average PC user won't be able to find your network, any one with a decent knowledge of wireless networks will be able to find it.

for what reason are you changing the channel?

my wii is far away from my linksys and there is too much interference

If the Wii is a long way from the Linksys, chances are changing the channel isn't going to help much, especially for online gaming (like SSBB). To get a rough idea of the wireless connection quality, run this command in a command window on the laptop and watch it for a while:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

The "time=" field tells you how many milliseconds it took to receive a response from the Linksys. If some packets get no response (lost) or if the times for a lot of them are large, that's going to translate into serious lag in an online game, on top of the lag which the Internet itself will add.

If you press Ctrl-C to stop the command, it will tell you the minimum, maximum, and average response times as well as the number of packets which were lost. Here's an example for my network (my router's IP address is 192.168.3.1):

Ping statistics for 192.168.3.1:
Packets: Sent = 40, Received = 40, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 1ms

One more thing...if 100% of the ping packets are lost, that means the firewall software on the laptop is blocking ping responses (inbound ICMP). Changing the firewall software not to do that can be hairy and probably not something your dad would be thrilled about.

PwnMastr said:
is there a way to have security without having to do a lot of stuff on the laptop its my dads not mine
Define "a lot".

For any security, you need to put in more work. You can't have it both ways. Unless you want to pay someone to do the work for you. I have reasonable rates.

Minimal security involves entering in a WPA key on the laptop for connecting to the router. Better security also involves enabling MAC address filtering on the router and putting the laptop's MAC address into the router.

When it comes to security methods: WEP < WPA < WPA2. WEP is virtually useless at this point.... I'd buy a new router and wireless card before I used WEP, as it is easy to crack. Sometimes a router/card can support better encryption by upgrading the firmware/drivers. Otherwise you need a new one.

Back