College Online Helpp!!

Wiiksauce

WiiChat Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hey yall, i go to a university and every time i try to connect to the internet i get stopped by the firewall, i was wondering if anyone knew how to get around this problem? please respond ASAPPPPPPPP

I assume you're talking about connecting your Wii to the university's network.

My guess is you probably won't be able to get around the problem since you can't edit the firewall settings yourself. :frown2: I'm sure the college set up a firewall on their network for a reason(not that the Wii would be bad for it or anything, I'm sure they have it there to protect against viruses transmitted through Internet Explorer and to stop people using things like Bit Torrent(file sharing software)).

yea i know why they have one up i was just wondering if maybe connecting through my pc or something that i could reroute the wii, to overcome the firewall, but i guess not

You can do it, but there are 2 requirements:

1. Your school must use DHCP (most schools do i believe)
2. Get a wireless router

Now, set up the wireless router and change the router's MAC address to whatever your computer's MAC address is. You're router should work now, and you can connect the Wii to it. I've done this in my dorm and it works like a charm. Good luck

PS i suggest password-protecting your router for obvious reasons

OK, perhaps I'm missing something Wrathchild, I can see how your method would work, but wouldn't the firewall still interfere with the wireless router's settings and block anything before it gets to the router(or from router if the Wii is sending data)? Just a thought.

Yeah when someone told me about it I thought the same thing, but he told me it still works. For example, I can't use programs like limewire when I'm wired due to Hopkins' firewall (I go to johns hopkins). But when you run the internet through a wireless router it apparently bypasses the firewall somehow (I have no idea how it does it specifically so don't ask me) and allows a PS2 (like my friend had) and my Wii to work flawlessly.

Back