Component Cable Compatibility?

Lorcl678

WiiChat Member
Jan 28, 2007
My dad is planning to purchase a HDTV soon and I'm curious about how someone would tell if it would be compatible with the component cables/480p. If there are certain brands that are able/unable to function properly with the cables, be sure to list some. Responses appreciated.

I just got the one off the Nintendo store for $30. It works great and makes a huge difference. I saw some at best buy and gamestop but they all cost like $50. I am very happy with it.

AZ_Wii_Tard said:
I just got the one off the Nintendo store for $30. It works great and makes a huge difference. I saw some at best buy and gamestop but they all cost like $50. I am very happy with it.

I think he is thinking of the tv not the cables...

and if I am right, any hdtv has and input for component cables and they all have 480p, so no matter what tv you get, as long as its a hdtv you can play your wii at his best. Unless off course you get a tv from a unknown brand. I recommend: LG, Sony or Samsung

Component cables are analog, so they work with any tv that has a component input. Just be sure to get the Nintendo brand component cables (~$30 US).

gnahc79 said:
Component cables are analog, so they work with any tv that has a component input. Just be sure to get the Nintendo brand component cables (~$30 US).

There is no reason to buy Nintendo brand cable, since you can find perfectly good component cables as low as $10 (what I did... internet is your friend), just like there is no reason to buy monster cables... unless you like throwing away money. This is not to say that Nintendo brand cables are bad, just telling you to be more savvy with your money (or your dad's).

Ok....yes Monster brand cables are seriously overpriced and you should never get them (like Bose). However, for analog cables the quality does matter. For digital cables like HDMI the brand doesn't really matter as much. For normal A/V cables, www.bluejeanscable.com is the best place to get quality cables without the name brand pricing. That said, you should get the Nintendo brand cables over other vendor cables.

Oh, tell your dad to get a nice sound system to compliment the HDTV :).

Well all these people are saying to get these cheap ones but cheap does not always equal good. I'm not rich or advertising tto buy eerything Nintendo but I do think that when it comes to important things like gaming you should always get the best you can afford. Frankly I don't trust 3rd party developers when it comes to my systems. I want my controllers to be official controllers. Now when it comes to charging stations, accessories, and the such THEN I'll look into other brands such as Nyko, etc. So I'd say go ahead and buy Nintendo ones (try eBay to get a good deal). You'll feel more at peace knowing you got a top quality product that you can be sure will work right.

Just like Rahnter said you can get Wii componet cables for $10, free shipping and no tax, I forgot where the site was, but the cables work fine, just remember that the media isn't meant for HD, so you will get a better image, but the game itself would look slightly pixelated

Just remembered, I got my cables from meritline.com

Last edited:
Back