component cable differences?

pYRo

WiiChat Member
Dec 3, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Wii Online Code
2186-4201-2378-7021
ok, i searched the forums earlier today and found out that component cables would actually make a difference on a standard tube tv. So I was wondering. Nintendo sells their component cables for $35, but i found some other ones that are only $20. So is there a difference of quality between any of the component cables out there, or are they all the same?

In terms of picture quality, it doesn't make a difference. A wire is a wire. The difference between low end cables and high end (like moster cable) is the connection points and the durability of the wire. A moster cable will have better contact, but you probably will not notice a difference. Also, high end wires have a shield around them (inside the rubber casing) to prevent interference from other sources. Cheap cables might not have this or it might be extremely fragile. Again, will you notice a difference? Probably not. Besides, even if the shield is more fragile, it's not like you'd be moving it all the time, like a DJ would be moving cables all the time. Although, you can probably bet that Nintendo cables will be of excellent quality.

pYRo said:
ok, i searched the forums earlier today and found out that component cables would actually make a difference on a standard tube tv. So I was wondering. Nintendo sells their component cables for $35, but i found some other ones that are only $20. So is there a difference of quality between any of the component cables out there, or are they all the same?
I don't think non-HD tv's have a component input...

X@vier said:
not sure but could u explain what the cables would have to do anything with PAL or NTSC to me?

~X
I wouldn't have thought they had anything to do with it, but I have heard that some american cables don't work with English tv's.

idjut said:
FRuMMaGe, component cables are universal! :yesnod:
That's what I thought, but I don't know for sure.

It's logical, but I've heard problems.

It will make the picture better, not hudge differance but better for sure... Just make sure you use quality cables. Using cheep component to replace good composite isn't going to help much.

To give you an idea the differance it would be equivalent as a DVD player going from composite "RCA yellow video, red,white sound" to component with "RCA red,green,blue for video and then the red and white for sound"...

Anytime you increase the signal seperation for the video the cleaner crisper the screen image will be ... It's not going to magically turn your TV into HD but it will be the best picture possibal on a SDTV and an EDTV..

easy to read scale.. for video quality based on cables :lol:

RF<Composite<S-video<Componet<DVI<HDMI

There are acctually loads more styles of Audio and Video cables, and mostly its going to depend on your t.v. and the encoding devices connected to it... But for best picture and sound the norm would be to use the highest quality that the input source permits... that would be your T.V./Surround Sound, for most home users

Being the A/V geek in highschool does acctually help out in life later on..lol, I just used it to skip classes who knew...

Last edited:
pYRo said:
well mine does. i think its pretty common actually.
yeah so does mine. while the t.v. in my room is no where near as good as my familys HD downstairs the component hookups make a huge difference for 360.

component was around before well before HDTV was... its just a way to get better picture signal than s-video or composite....

A lot of pre-HD t.v's have component inputs, most being used for DVD players. Component just has the capability of transfering HD quality video signal because it offers more room for the information to pass...

The best way to picture it is like a road... you can safely fit more cars down a 5 lane road "componet" then a 3 lane road "composite"...

If you try to pass HD information across a smaller format like "cable or satelite" then you need to shrink it down "encode it" and then blow it back up "decode" the signal to fit... thats we have HD cable and satelite boxes hooked up just through oldschool coax cable... they need all the elctronics to decode the HD signal, and from the cable box you can then send it off using the best wires possibal to your t.v.

But the less decoding the better for picture and sound... The cable company just cant afford to run component cables to your door... so they pay for boxes instead of wires its cheeper in the end.

I agree with most of that scale, except for the last two. DVI and HDMI actually use the same video interface, but DVI is video only - you'd still need audio cables. HDMI includes both video and audio. The video quality should be identical. HDMI is being pushed by the industry magnates because it also includes some copy protection, not to mention that HDMI cables tend to cost more, both of which in my mind are reasons *not* to buy it unless you find that some video source won't work on your TV w/o HDMI...

True... DVI is barely any different from HDMI except HDMI can carry high end audio which in home theaters makes it a notch better and eaisier to hook up... DVI actually has more pins and is capable of transmitting more information if they ever exceeded the HDMI limit.
DVI is however pretty much done they are no longer making items specifically for DVI in the home entertainment area... DVI itself was made for computer displays and projectors and just happen to make its way over into the HDTV realm... But even DVI is switching over to DisplayPort, a 20 pin connector to replace DVI among computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

It seems "based on industry anyways" to all be switching over to HDMI and a lot support everything inbetween, from coax to HDMI so you really have no need to worry.
HDMI has many versions 1.0,1.1,1.2,1.2b,1.3,1.3a,1.3b kinda like what happened with USB when it first hit the market getting slightly better all the time, but keeping the same configuration over time. Which in the end is best for consumers they dont have to constantly buy new cables everytime they buy something new. And they dont have to rush out and buy a new t.v. or adapter because there new device has a new output format.

honestly i dont care what they decide with. I just wish that its universal in the end for everything... computer monitores,t.v.'s,DVD ect. all using the same all in one connection much like USB able to do whatever...
That would be great, then i would only have to buy a handfull of quality cables instead of looking all over for the best of each kind...

It doesnt matter much though everything is headed twards wireless and pretty soon the new format will consist of an online update of your Device... lol The only thing you will need is a plug to and outlet... Even that may vanish soon enough

Last edited:
Back