component with 480i not 480p

ics

WiiChat Member
Nov 22, 2006
I have a standard tv with a component input. The TV does not support 480p though. I was wondering if someone with component cables could do a quick test for me.

I want to know if there is much difference between the composite cables and component cables but running the wii in only 480i.

I just don't want to spend $50 if there is not much of a difference and I am not planning to upgrade my TV any time soon.

Thanks in advanced.

ics

Which computer cables are you talking about? I would like to see this as well if possible ><

intekmdma said:
Which computer cables are you talking about? I would like to see this as well if possible ><

computers have nothing to do with it...

and it will give you a slightly better pic, not a whole lot though

I'll tell you right now that the component cables will not make much of a difference in terms of picture quality for you.

I have the component cables and an HDTV, and honestly, I cannot tell too much of a difference between the composite cables (that came in the box with the Wii) and the premium component cables. It just makes the image less stretched out horizontally, and makes certain things a little more clear (only noticeable side by side).

I really don't think it's worth it to buy the component cables. Just my two cents.

If your TV does not support 480p, then do not waste your money. I have a small EDTV with the component cables and I think the difference is quite noticable, but if your TV is only standard definition it will hardly make any difference. Component cables make the most difference on large HDTV's.

If anyone is interested I just got my component cables today and I found it does make a big difference even though I can't use 480p. I was switching back and forth cables between the composite and component with Call of duty 3 and the difference is very noticeable. Everything looks more clean, colorful and 3D. I was upset with how bad COD3 looked but now with these cables I want to play it over again.

ics

pizzaluvr said:
computers have nothing to do with it...

and it will give you a slightly better pic, not a whole lot though

oppps! I was thinking of something else when typing that! lol. I was thinkin' of using a PC monitor rather than a regular non-hd ready tube TV

I got the component cables today and my HDTV supports the 480p (Sony grand wega) I switched back and fourth. Is it better yes but is it 50 bucks better no not really. Maybe it's the games I was looking at Zelda and the Sports. I was disappointed that the output is not true 16:9 in wide screen either. My TV can displa the signal it's receiving and will switch on the fly up to 1080P. When I put the new cables in it still only reads 4:3. I did put it in wide screen. From what I've gathered from this site that's the way it works.

Last edited:
yeah i dont know where you guys got your cables but straight from nintendo the components are only $30. and as far as the difference i think there is a big one even in 480i. the menus are much more clear, lines are defined and color and 3-d depth are brought out by the cables. i think it is plenty worth 30 bucks. 50 is iffy though.

dedpoet777 said:
yeah i dont know where you guys got your cables but straight from nintendo the components are only $30. and as far as the difference i think there is a big one even in 480i. the menus are much more clear, lines are defined and color and 3-d depth are brought out by the cables. i think it is plenty worth 30 bucks. 50 is iffy though.

yeah. are you buying 3rd party cables from gamestop or something? Nintendo is 29.95!

i have a 60 inch sony grand wega with component cables, and i'm trying to play zelda right now in widescreen but it looks pretty shotty, Links outline is all blury and pixilated. i have my wii set for widescreen but to get it to output on widescreen i had to switch my tv to "full" witch i think means widescreen. any advice? am i doing this wrong why does it look so bad? thanks.

I have a 24" Flat Standard Definition TV and I'm using the component cables... I will say I wouldn't go back to the composite cables it makes a big difference to me.

Back