Component Cables and Widescreen

umichguy84

WiiChat Member
Apr 25, 2007
I have a widescreen HDTV and just got Wii component cables after switching the Wii to wide screen and 480P I still have a square image until I used the fill feature on the TV and since I do not have a game involving real people I cant tell if the image is streched or if it is not fine and before was squished, anyone know how this works or had expereince with their own Wii?

The image should always be in full screen, widescreen just meens it won't need to stretch to fill up the screen (stretching lowers quality and looks weird). Switch between widescreen and 4:3 and look at the bars for the menus and options (where you switch it up). When the bars are wider that meens they've been stretched and when the bars are less wide then you're in true widescreen and you'll see more on the sides.

there is also a widescreen setting in the wii menu, it gives the 16:9 option and the old 4:3... you want 16:9

dogon, steven... do you have hdtv's or component cables??

I believe you can do 480P with an EDTV (enhanced definition, instead of high definition TV).

But, yes, i have an HDTV and the wii component cable. And yes I have the wii set to 480P and 16:9.

If the wii is set to 16:9, your TV should be set to fill, to fill up the screen. The only time you should need to use the "standard" or "zoom" setting on the TV is if you are watching standard (4:3 ratio) TV.

dogon1013 said:
I believe you can do 480P with an EDTV (enhanced definition, instead of high definition TV).

But, yes, i have an HDTV and the wii component cable. And yes I have the wii set to 480P and 16:9.

If the wii is set to 16:9, your TV should be set to fill, to fill up the screen. The only time you should need to use the "standard" or "zoom" setting on the TV is if you are watching standard (4:3 ratio) TV.

Mine is set up the same way. 16:9 and set to 480P. HDTV and Component Cable no zooming or anything.

Back