Connect your Wii using a PCI network card

auskermit

WiiChat Member
Jan 2, 2010
Australia
G'day. After many hours of searching the internet for a solution to this proble, i have finally found it, without the need to purchase an expensive wireless router.

My system is using a TP-Link WN651G wireless network PCI card.

I originally thought that i could connect my Wii using this card, with an Ad-hoc connection. How wrong was this.

I eventually came up with a solution that creates your host PC into Wifi hotspot with encryption to keep your neighbours out of your connection.

By the way, i am using windows 7 X32 Ultimate.

Once you have installed your wireless network card, windows will automatically generate the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter under your network adapters, in the device manager.
You will have to check to see if your adapter is compatible before going forward. You can go to the microsoft website to find out if your network card is compatible.

To configure it use the network shell command NETSH in Administrator elevated Command Prompt and type the following, not forgetting to change the ssid name and the password.

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=BinkLaptop key=ChangeMe09

This configures a Wireless Lan network with SSID “BinkLaptop” and protected with the key “ChangeMe09”

*****Keep this window open, you will use it again later *******

Next enable Internet sharing on your internet connected network card, in my case that is the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, as my modem/router is wired. Go to the control panel, select Network and internet, then select Network Connections. Right click on the NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller and select properties. Then click on the Sharing tab, select the 'Allow other network users to connect through the computers internet connection. Then on the drop down box, select the virtual Wifi as the home networking connection. Click OK

Once this has done, then right click on the wifi adapter and select properties. In the Networking tab, un-tick everything except for the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Then highlight this option and click on properties. Click on the Advanced button, un-tick Automatic metric, and change the Interface metric to 8000. Then click OK twice and then click close.

Then go back into your dos prompt window.

We now have to start the hosted network, by typing the following command.....

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

And that's it!

Make sure you keep a copy of this, because you will have to re-do this everytime your computer reboots. I have not had the time to put this into a batch file yet.

Hope this helps people. Don't give up.

Cheers:yesnod:

hi i also have been searching the net for an answer
the closest thing i can find is your thread
i am trying to connect my wii to the internet through my pc via a D-link Airplus DWL-G250 network adapter using xp 32bit.
from what ive read it should work im guessing its my settings that are the problem as its my 1st attempt at network connection.

any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers.

Thanks

Thanks auskermit, this was a useful post. Handy to know that you cannot establish an ad-hoc connection to a Wii. Creating a WiFi hotspot on your computer makes sense in this situation, but not something that would normally be recommended. I'll keep this tip in my arsenal just in case I ever encounter a similar situation. Thanks. I would give you REP for it, but it seems the REP system is broken here.

Back