connecting

Yellow_Wii

wii owner since release
Sep 5, 2006
i have crackdown and my internet cable and really want to see this halo 3 beta. My 360 reads that the wire's there but the ip address wont be discovered!
i inserted my ip address manually but i dont have a clue what the gateway and subnet mask is...

gah, what shall i do?

Whenever my IP adress isn't found I just unplug the broadband and plug it in again... normally works for me, other than that, I don't have a clue, sorryy..

Need Help
My friend got his 360 but he can't set live up, it goes through passed the IP adress and is successful till it reaches the "MTU" thing, does anyone know how to fix it?

Last edited:
are you plugged into a router? if your running directly from your modem then you either A) need to unplug your PC from the internet so your xbox can use the IP address or b) buy a second IP address (which is more than a router so thats the stupid way). also you wont be able to play the beta untill the 16th. like i said in my other thread, a friend of mine knows some people at Bungie and got me and my other friends on some private forums invites to the Family and Friends beta

ok i dont have a clue about the computer language so i will use 'my computer' language. I have plugged one end of the ethanet cable to my 360 and one into the back of the ' box that turns on teh computer ' lol. Then i turn my internet on and turn on my 360. I click the xbox live on the dashboard. I join. It comes up with a message saying i cant connect, then with one saying configure settings ( or something ). Connection test. It reads it and says, wired. Then moves onto the ip address and says failed.

Thats as far as ive got. Ow and mitch if i unplug my internet from teh pc then i wont be able to go on teh internet on the pc?

sorry, i'm a retard lol

so your xbox is hooked into your PC? that will not work. you need a router in order to split the internet connection between 2 diffrent PC's (or xbox's or w/e you need connected to the internet)

dont worry, with cleaver thinking ive got it hooked up and working ! yay

Mitch2025 said:
so your xbox is hooked into your PC? that will not work. you need a router in order to split the internet connection between 2 diffrent PC's (or xbox's or w/e you need connected to the internet)

i just bought a 360 this weekend and i will be trying to get it online when i get home from work this evening.

i was planning on picking up a usb to ethernet cable and just running an ethernet cable from my pc to the xbox. my pc is connected directly to the modem. i figured the usb cable/converter would split the connection.

but, from what you're saying i might be out of luck goin this route huh?

in my experience: YOU DONT NEED A ROUTER

right click your internet connection-properties-advanced- enable internet connection sharing.

lackluster, do you have a usb modem? if you do just run the ethernet cable to your xbox after doing what i said.

hope it helps

no1cubehead said:
in my experience: YOU DONT NEED A ROUTER

right click your internet connection-properties-advanced- enable internet connection sharing.

lackluster, do you have a usb modem? if you do just run the ethernet cable to your xbox after doing what i said.

hope it helps
that will ONLY work if your ISP is giving you 2 or more IP addresses or if your modem is like my old DSL modem and has a built in router. if your modem also doubles as a router, you can connect directly to the modem or to the PC VIA connection sharing and it will work but if you dont have a modem with a built in router, you MUST buy a router to split the connection

Mitch2025 said:
that will ONLY work if your ISP is giving you 2 or more IP addresses or if your modem is like my old DSL modem and has a built in router. if your modem also doubles as a router, you can connect directly to the modem or to the PC VIA connection sharing and it will work but if you dont have a modem with a built in router, you MUST buy a router to split the connection

i used to have this one http://www.voyager.bt.com/usb_modems/voyager_105/product_info.htm

using this method http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/connecttolive/xbox360/connectionmethods/windowsics.htm

dunno if it's a usb modem, but it does have a usb port on the back of it....does that make it a usb modem? it's not the rectangular usb port you'd find on a pc monitor or the front of a computer, it's the other end, the more square-shaped one.

WOO HOO! just been on gears of war online! \added a freind, chatted, played etc i downloaded something for crackdown, but halo 2 wont work online?

it says something about i have got an important message from xbox live, i might need to mannage something or other...

Back