Console not coming on properly

ZiG

WiiChat Member
May 27, 2007
Hi everyone. I just got my wii a few days ago. I've noticed in the instructions that you have to hold the power button on the controller for at least 1 second to get the console to turn on or off. Well, that's fine.. but what about when the console is off and you just push the power button for less than a second?

If I do this, the light on the wii will turn green but it won't turn on (nothing appears on the tv) and the 1st player light on the controller won't come on. Once this is happened, no matter what button I push on the controller or how long I hold it for, all that will happen is the 4 lights on the controller will blink a few times. The only way to make the wii turn on is hold the power button on the front of it long enough for the light to go red again, and then I can hold the button on the controller for 1 second to turn it on like normal.

Is this normal, or some feature I don't know about, or.. a glitch?

Last edited:
Hmmm...it sounds like somehow your controller isnt synched with the wii. This IS the controller you got with your wii, correct? If not, youll need to look through your owners manual and permanently synch it. If it IS the remote you were given with your wii, however, than I suggest you contact nintendo, because I have never heard of anything like this, seeing as the remote they send you is previously synched with your wii.

Rep if appreciated.

EDIT: BTW, Welcome to WiiChat! I hope you have a good, long stay.

Ok, thanks. It is indeed the remote that came with the thing, and the same thing happens on the other remote I bought..

ok unplug ur wii and take out the batteries from the wii controller then put everything back together and see if it works... it happened to me and thats what fixed it for me

You may have to re-synchronize your remote to your console. For some reason both my Wii remotes did that until I re-synchronized them, must be a glitch if sometimes they go out of sync?

Ah, you know what? I finally got the thing online today, did a hardware update, and it isn't doing it anymore. Score. :smilewinkgrin:

Back