New Wii - won't standby

Bulldawg99

WiiChat Member
Apr 23, 2009
I've had my Wii exactly one week, and the power button is behaving strangely. I've searched the forum, and I haven't found my exact problem. Lots of questions about power states, but not this.

Here's what it does:
I go back to the Wii menu and hit the power button on the remote or the console. Video goes blank, and the power button remains green. (not yellow, not orange, not red, green.)

After that, the console will not power on unless I hold the power button for 8 seconds to get the red light and then push power again to turn it on. If the settings are correct and I receive a message, the slot glows, so something is still working, but the darn video will not turn on without holding the power button.

And, honestly, it's just a PIA to get off the couch to turn it on :thumbsup:

I've tried every combination of the WiiConnect24 settings--including completely off. I've tried it with and without game discs in the slot. Nothing. Always does this.

How do I get it to work correctly? I updated the firmware before I even played my first game. The settings menu says I'm running 4.0U.

Hmm, that's not normal behavior at all. You may have a defective Wii. You should contact Nintendo customer service.

did u happen to run some "self-burnt" game?

No other games except the one that came with it. Like the initial poster I pluged it in and updated to latest version 4.0. Wish I would have known what to look for before I updated but I didn't. so I don't know if it was faulty from the factory or if it was the updated firmware.

No other games except the one that came with it. Like the initial poster I pluged it in and updated to latest version 4.0. Wish I would have known what to look for before I updated but I didn't. so I don't know if it was faulty from the factory or if it was the updated firmware.

Nope, no modifications whatsoever, and nothing other than official Wii discs in the drive.

Then I guess calling the CSO will be a good choice.

Called yesterday. I'll be sending it in for repair. I hope they can fix it without breaking anything else. :fingerscrossed:

So, update...

I sent it in for repair. Covered under warranty since it was only 2 weeks old.

They replaced the system board and were unable to recover my save games. Hard to believe since it was turning on when I sent it in, but oh well, I'll just have to play through Mario Kart and World of Goo again.

The repaired Wii does standby as it should. I feel better having it working properly now, but it was a bummer to lose my save games.

Since at least one other person with a new console was having this problem, maybe they had a bad batch, or maybe the 4.0U update broke the console if you updated it before playing any games--as I did. I'll be interested to find out if any more people have this problem in the future.

Back