Copyright-Sigs

Jun 22, 2007
USA
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
I am completely a noob when it comes to sigs. I pretty much know nothing about them and you should notice I don't have one other than text.

I have one question. I'm confused on the copyright laws of sigs. Can you use any picture and scale it down to create your own sig, or do you have to ask permission? A lot of the sites that have pictures posted on sports, games, etc. have their site copyrighted.

Any replies would be helpful.

If the pics on the internet with out a water mark I class it as uncopyrighted and thus explotable

To be honest, unless they have a legal document saying it's copyrighted, it really doesn't matter. As to the case of individual sites, just email them because I'm sure all their policies are different.

Yea u can basically use any image u find on the web that doesnt have a seal on it or watermarks..Just as long as you change it up, make it ur own..

here is a video tutorial on how to copyright ur own images LINK

Last edited:
You can pretty much use any picture you want in a sig. Look up the term 'fair use', and that should explain a bit of it.

As long as you're not parading it around as your own, or making money off it (there are probably a few other caveats I'm not thinking about atm), you should be fine... especially if it's confined to a message board.

zapasant93 said:
any image is fair game

Not true, if you were to go to a photoshop signature site and begin using user made renders and claim them as your own that would be considered ripping.

If you're looking for renders/images to make a signature I suggest on checking out various render sites.

zapasant93 said:
any image is fair game
But still if it has a water mark or some thing statein DONT STEEL MY WORK its best not to

Where as things like this
etnasigfwa3.gif

I tend to mention people that gave me the sorce materal
Mainly -Orgianal charicters Nipon ichi, The animation in the gif was made by the Lovey Katsumi and the rest is by me

Ok, thanks for the replies. I'm getting a better understanding of what's legal, and what I'll get sued for...:lol:

Stealing from Deviant Art condemns you to death by stoning.

Back