Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Credit Card purchasing

Discussion in 'Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSIWare' started by chuccck, Feb 7, 2008.

1. chuccck

chuccck Wii Fitness Age: 22

Wii Friend Code: 2295-5812-4746-3096
    2295-5812-4746-3096
    Is there a way to link my credit card to my nintendo.com account so I don't have to enter it in each time I want to buy more points? Or some other way for the shop channel to save my credit card info?

if somebody knows I will give you my card info so you can save it for me.................... HA HA! But seriously, is there a solution here?

2. Conan the Librarian

uh, no for obvious reasons. They dont want to hear you cry when you max out $10,000 worth of wii points.....

Just buy $20 a few times......I cant imagine you needing more than $200 even if you were a crazy VC fan.

I mean, damn......

3. heymoe99

heymoe99 WiiChat Member

not that i know of
    probably for security reasons (idenity theft, credit card theft, ect)
    someone can steal your wii and max out your cc.

4. Link02

Link02 WiiChat Member

Wii Friend Code: 2040-6433-9730-8074
    2040-6433-9730-8074
    i purchase points weekly, but i agree credit card theft and such plus if your using a unsecure connection someone eles who is piggy backing that connection if smart enough could access your card info.

hope that was a little bit inspiring:lol:

5. Kryten

Kryten Andrew

The credit card companies require the use of SSL or TLS to send credit card numbers over the Internet. There is no way a piggy backer can see your credit card number on the network, even if you are using a public wireless connection.

6. 2muchVCs

2muchVCs WiiChat Member

There probably isn't a way to save the info. But i recommend using your credit card everytime. I stopped buying wii points in the stores when I realized I can save a few bucks because there isn't any tax to pay.
    But I guess you'll have to stick with putting in all the information every time.

7. Link02

Link02 WiiChat Member

2040-6433-9730-8074
    Sorry i thought it was possible, my mum always on about secure networking lol
    Thanks for the correction.

8. mikepr

mikepr Newfie

Whether you buy a point card in the store or the points straight through the shop, there are still taxes. I bought 5000 points for like $57 :/

9. hal2814

hal2814 WiiChat Member

When a merchant signs up with a credit card processing service, they're agreeing to a whole slew of provisions made up by the credit card companies. You have to provide a certain level of security for credit card transactions. If you want to store actual credit card data, the level of security you have to provide goes up exponentially. Some merchants deal with the increased security standards to make buying things easier. Given the sales of VC games so far, Nintendo doesn't really need to do that. So they probably won't.

10. 2muchVCs

2muchVCs WiiChat Member

Oh. Forget I said that then. I didn't know you paid taxes on it. Thanks for correcting me though.

11. Kryten

Kryten Andrew

Nintendo hasn't charged me any sales tax for Wii Points yet. I'm in North Carolina. I guess it depends what state you live in.

12. IwataS

IwataS WiiChat Member

you couldnt be more wrong.

13. IwataS

IwataS WiiChat Member

i have never been charged taxes buying directly thru the wii. what state are you in? im in CA...

14. Kryten

Kryten Andrew

Proof?

15. hal2814

hal2814 WiiChat Member

There are two things IwataS could be referring to here.

1. I too would like to see proof of a credit card company who allows unencrypted Internet transactions. I don't believe that exists anymore.

2. Proof that a piggy backer can see your credit card transaction on a network is in the concept. The only additional restriction an eavesdropper has to figuring out what you're sending is that the eavesdropper will have to intercept the entire set of packets in the encrypted transaction to make any sense of it. At some point in any encryption, there is a handshake and you have to exchange keys. If someone intercepts that, then the rest of the encryption won't do you much good. Fortunately, it's far easier to go down a list of phone number, pretend you're some company, and ask for people's credit card numbers than it is to sit around a wireless access point intercepting everything you come across and trying to figure out if any of it is credit card data.

16. Kryten

Kryten Andrew

You can see every single bit of the conversation between the client and server and not be able to decrypt the session. This is public-key cryptography we're talking about. Well, I don't know what IwataS thinks he's talking about. I don't think he does either.

17. Link02

Link02 WiiChat Member

2040-6433-9730-8074
    sorry i started this disscussion lol, so is it safe to use a wireless access point when entering your credit card details?

18. Skippy

Skippy WiiChat Member

Yes, it's fine.

It's not impossible for your info to be captured, but it's extremely unlikely. Most credit card information thefts are either from people breaking into computers where a database of credit card info is stored or from actual people copying your number (waiters, clerks, etc.)

19. hal2814

hal2814 WiiChat Member

As safe as anywhere. You'd have to worry more about someone peeking over your shoulder than someone sniffing packets.

20. Link02

Link02 WiiChat Member

2040-6433-9730-8074
    lol cheers thanks alot guys (wipes the sweat of his brow)