Disc read problems

stiner024

WiiChat Member
Aug 27, 2011
baltimore md
hey guys, my kids did something to my wii,it keeps saying unable to read all the disc i put in.i was wondering if one of you guys could help me out,they are driving me insane. thanks

Mod edit.
Please give your threads in this section names that relate to the problem​

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly did they do to it exactly? Did they drop it? Or shove 2 discs in it at once?

disc problems

as far as i know,they did neither,my son was playing a game,and out of know where the error message came on

So your son was playing a game when suddenly the error message pops up. Hmm... Error messages don't just "pop up" without a reason. It's possible that your Wii is defective.

He he. Wii...

It could be that the laser in your Wii console is scratching the disc (which is a VERY RARE thing to happen), or the game you bought is defective and is starting to go.

If you got a bad/defective disc, depending on how old it is or how new it is, and if it's been bought used ornew.
Go to the store you bought it from and have it exchanged for a new one (if the games bought used, ask them for a good WORKING one that has the least scratches and test it out).

(BTW, could you tell us what game this is? Much appreciated!)

If it's the console making the disc scratched, i'd test a game ya' really don't care about and see if it gets scratched after being in the Wii. If it's the Wii doing it, I WOULD NOT try to repair it yourself unless you okow what you ar doing, as it voids the units worrenty to get it repaired if ya do mess up som things on it. If ya don't mind sending out something to get it reapired, i'd have it sent to Nintendo Customer Service to be repaired. It's Free if it's been unmodded/unopened/reapired by you and if ya pay shipping.

Precisely, how old is your Wii? It may need cleaning, or the dvd-rom needs cleaning, and repairing. There can be many problems with it. Like, the eye may be filthy, the motor is burned out, it's been dropped, or someone may have moved your wii while it was reading the game; which can cause the eye to be damage from straining itself. Have you modded your wii? That can cause problems in it's hardware, but if you haven't. Then it may be the other reasons. Also, have ever considered trying another game in it? If you have and you receive the same results, then it's the eye or the motor. I recommend for you to contact a professional and inform them of it's problems. They can help you, also you purchase an eye cleaner that's just for the Wii. Try using one of those.

Last edited:
I have the same problem.And i looked on youtube and i saw alot of people talking about cleaning the lens.But they are all useing a special lens cleaner made for the Wii.But its realy hard to find here in Trinidad.Can i use a normal lens cleaner?Please help people i havent played black ops in a week!:sick:

You dont need fancy cleaners to keep your wii lens clean, use cotton stick (you need to open up your wii and take off your wiis cd/dvd drive i dont recommend you to do this if you dont know how to open it, check tutorials at youtube and take picture from every screw you take off that you see where you took it off from) first make cotton stick head wet with water then roll it back side of your hand to get extra water off from sticks head, then just carefully clean the lens dont press cotton stick too hard against lens or it will brake, after that use dry cotton stick to get water off from lens thats all there is to it. ive cleaned my wiis lens like this always and still no problems at all. my wiis are 5 and 3 years old and that never scratched the lens or anything.

one time i had the error too but it got fixed when i took power cord and all for 1 day then plugged them back.

Last edited:
Sounds like the laser could be the culprit. Try unplugging it and letting it sit for about half an hour. This will allow all the internals to cool down. Then plug it back in and power it up. If it works it is likely that the laser is on the way out. If it still does not work then your laser is probably dead and you need a new one. Don't bother with a lens cleaner. They are a big waste of time and money. You can get a new laser for about $10. You'll need a tri wing screwdriver to take the wii apart but the laser replacement is pretty simple. There are lots of tutorial videos on youtube. You can get the tri wing screwdriver at http://nintendoscrewdriver.com. They ship for free. Use coupon code: mariokart to save 15%.

Back