Wii disc read problem

freshjuice

WiiChat Member
Jul 4, 2009
Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar problem? We keep getting Disc Read errors. The Wii will take the disc but it never spins. I took the covers off and put a disc in. It takes the disc but then just sits there and doesn't spin. I ejected the disc and then moved the Laser all the way to the right. When I put the disc back in the laser tracks all the way back to center but the disc still does not spin. Does this mean that the laser is not seeing the disc or is the drive bad? Please advise. Thanks!

I am having a similar issue. Disc is inserted, spins for a few seconds, and then gives me the "Unable to Read Disc" error. Are there any in home solutions before I talk with Wii Support and they tell me to send my console to them?

Thats usually the lens. You can buy a kit from Fry's Elec. or Best Buy for $11 to $ 15. Its simple to use and you dont have to open the case. Or go to Nintendo support find this subject and there will be a form you can send they will tell you to send it to them for cleaning. Usually its free even if your past the warranty date. I have done both.

I tried that. I bought a disc (lens) cleaner from Best Buy and the Wii will not read it. I get the same error.

Lens Cleaner for wii

The lens cleaner for the Wii does not have a disc to read. It has to be specifically made for cleaning the wii.

Its shaped like a disc with a handle that once you insert it you physically move it up and down to clean it. There are some drops that go on a pad etc.
So unless you bought a Wii Lens cleaner...:smilewinkgrin:

If ninetendo will fix it for free you should send it in however if you opened it the warranty may be void. They are very quick in getting it back to you.

Last edited:
Back