do i need a sd card?

benny1982

WiiChat Member
Jan 27, 2008
exactly what it says on the tin. I'm waiting for my wii to come but havn't brought a sd card. do i need one, is it for saving etc? i thought there would of been enough memory on the wii to save games surely.
thanks in advance.

you don't need one. it's only if you wanna take your save data to a friends house, that way you have backup data on the card. you can also put pictures on the card (obviously) and view them on the Photo Channel.

An SD card is only needed if you want to store your saves to take to a friends or put music on etc.

Wii has internal memory which is 512mb, plenty of room for Wii saves and Virtual Console downloads.

However, if you wish to play Gamecube games you will need a Gamecube memory card to save your Gamecube data, it can't save on the Wii's memory.

the wii has internal memory (i think 256 mb) but the sd cards are only if u intend of buying alot of games on the virtual console or put alot of pictures

(note: the wii can still save all of that without sd cards)

so the sd card is only when u plan on going over 256 mb

on certain games, you can play mp3's from it while in game.

you DO NOT have to get the "Wii" SD card, it can be any brand, and the wii supports up to 2 gigs.

Back