Do You Need A Router To Get The Net On The Wii?

dubber430

WiiChat Member
Sep 16, 2007
My friend has a Wii but no internet or a computer at home.....can he just get a modem and plug it to the Wii or does he have to get a modem and a router to catch the internet on his Wii.

Without having a computer what are his options to getting internet on his Wii?

Thanks

if hes not intending to plug a computer into the modem than yes it will do.( cuz it only has 1 spot.)
but hell also need to pay monthly internet fees.

Walugi said:
if hes not intending to plug a computer into the modem than yes it will do.( cuz it only has 1 spot.)
but hell also need to pay monthly internet fees.

so internet and a router will do or just internet? does he need a router

Yes

You'll require a wireless router OR a Wii USB-LAN Adapter.

Both will prolly run you the same.

It also requires montly access to internet. You cannot use a dialup modem line on the Wii.

So here are the basics_____________________

-Monthly Broadband Internet Connection Subscription
-Wireless Router (if you have PC's within your household using internet)
-USB-LAN Wii Adapter (no PC's present on network; direct connect to internet device)

player911m said:
You'll require a wireless router OR a Wii USB-LAN Adapter.

Both will prolly run you the same.

It also requires montly access to internet. You cannot use a dialup modem line on the Wii.

So here are the basics_____________________

-Monthly Broadband Internet Connection Subscription
-Wireless Router (if you have PC's within your household using internet)
-USB-LAN Wii Adapter (no PC's present on network; direct connect to internet device)

thanks

Too bad Opera doesn't come with the Wii already and you have to pay $5 for it. If you can get on the internet somewhere else and download the Opera browser you won't have to set up something like a Linksys router using a PC all the time. The Opera browser can log in and modify the settings of my Linksys Router.

I have a lan adapter, a Linksys Firewall Router, and a DSL modem. From what I've gathered the Wii cannot dial out to get a net connection like an Xbox. It needs something else like a Router to have a Username, Password, and establish the connection and then it's able to use it. If anyone knows any way to make it dial out let me know.

goona try it with the USB-LAN Wii Adapter to see if it works

Back