Wii Internet Query

robinsky

WiiChat Member
Apr 2, 2007
Hello. I am a newbie to Wii and anyone who can help me with this query (which has probably been discussed a lot) I shall be extremely grateful for.

I want to connect my Wii to the Internet and so far I am finding that help is few and far between. A lot of what I have read states you need Windows XP on your computer. I don't have Windows XP. I have Windows ME. I have broadband connection with a BT Voyager 105 modem. My question is, is it possible for me to connect to the internet with my Wii without Windows XP and with the BT Voyager 105 modem? If so, how do I do it as I am seriously confused.

Your help is appreciated.

Robin

Hello and welcome to WiiChat, Robin. :)

The Wii out the box uses wireless internet. If you have your PC (it doesn't matter what OS it is) running through a wireless router, then your Wii should be able to detect it. The Voyager is your DSL modem, which needs to stay in the loop.

In other words:

-> = connects to

Wall->Voyager->Wireless Router->PC (then your Wii picks up the wireless signal)

A suggested Wireless Router if you don't have one or know what you're looking for:

http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G-Wireless-G-Router/dp/B00007KDVI

(though you can get other brands cheaper)

Thanks for your help and for the warm welcome. The only thing about the Voyager modem is that it has a DSL and a USB port on the back of it and both ports are occupied. Is this going to be a problem or is the point of a wireless router to share Internet connections with more than one source? i.e., the pc and the wii? Sorry to sound stupid but I'm not very adept on wireless routers. Thanks. BTW, The Wii is excellent. I was actually looking at wireless routers today in the UK. I might go in and ask them what exactly I need for my wii and they can suggest to me what to do and failing that, get someone to come in and do it for me.
Robin

Yes, the point of a router is to share your internet to multiple devices but in your case you will only need to plug up the PC (since the Wii is wireless). When you put a wireless router in range of the Wii, it should be able to detect it.

As for the Voyager's ports, that is fine. Your phone line should be going into the Voyager modem, then you should see a USB port and a network port coming out the back (network being slightly larger than phone line but otherwise similiar).

You can connect your PC to the USB or the network port, but once you get your router (which goes in between the modem and the PC) then you wont be able to use USB any longer. You'll need one network cable from the modem to the router, then one network cable from the router to the PC. The Wii's signal will float to it through the air :)

If you go to a local electronics store, you can say "I have my PC hooked up to a DSL modem and I want my Wii to be online" They should point you right toward the wireless routers. Make you you are not purchasing a wireless access point though (which looks just like a wireless router but has NO ports on the back for your PC to plug in to)

Back