Help Connecting Online.

MotorBug

WiiChat Member
Aug 19, 2007
I recently bought a Wi-Fi USB Connector to get my Wii online. I managed to set my Wii up to connect to the Internet but everytime I test the connection I keep getting Error Codes 52140 and 52040. I'm running AOL as a ISP and are using a BT Voyager 190 ASDL wired modem. If anybody can help me I'll greatly appreciate it.

MotorBug said:
I recently bought a Wi-Fi USB Connector to get my Wii online. I managed to set my Wii up to connect to the Internet but everytime I test the connection I keep getting Error Codes 52140 and 52040. I'm running AOL as a ISP and are using a BT Voyager 190 ASDL wired modem. If anybody can help me I'll greatly appreciate it.
I had this problem before I got a wireless router. What you have to do is create a new connection that connects to the Internet using your AOL account, but doesn't use the AOL software. This is how it's done:

-In 'Network Connections' click 'Create a new connection' under 'Network Tasks'
-Click 'Next' twice, then choose 'Set up my connection manually' and click 'Next'
-Choose 'Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password' and click 'Next'
-Type 'Wi-Fi AOL' as the ISP name and click 'Next'
-Enter your AOL username and password. (Note: It has to be the username and password of the primary account, i.e. the one you started with)
-Now click 'Next' and 'Finish'.
-In the Properties of this connection, set the 'Service name' to 'AOL' and click OK.

Now use this to connect to the Internet when you want to go online with your Wii. If you have an actuve firewall you may have to disable it if this doesn't work - that's what I had to do.

Last edited:
I followed your instructions to the letter Lewi T but when I test the new connection it tells me that my username and/or password is not recognised by the domain. I typed my username and password in correctly so what am I doing wrong?

For your username, did you include '@aol.com'?

Okay. I've created "Wi-Fi AOL" successfully and it connects fine but when I try the Wii connection test with just Wi-Fi AOL connected I still get the same error message. Any help?

Do you have a firewall on? Because I used to have to turn mine off..

Do you have a firewall on? Because I used to have to turn mine off..

It's all alright now. I forgot to enable "Internet Connection Sharing" which is why I got the error message after I created "Wi-Fi AOL". But anyways I've finally got my Wii online just an hour ago.

A very big thank you to you Lewi T for helping me.

Back