Does the Wii have great...

largedarry said:
And unfortunately for your link, the havok physics engine specifically utilizes GPU processing power, as where the more advanced engines need to use the CPU or a dedicated physics chipset to perform the physics calculations.

That was the argument I was making.
There are physics involved in the game, the degree to which the engines are used is what is in question. I have no idea how powerful the Wii's engines are, but there is one being used.

LoganSix said:
That was the argument I was making.
There are physics involved in the game, the degree to which the engines are used is what is in question. I have no idea how powerful the Wii's engines are, but there is one being used.

There is obviously some form of calculations going on, but I do agree with you that the amount of in-game physics processing that the Wii is capable of is a complete guess (as I mentioned in an earlier post). We currently have almost no idea of what type of power the Wii has, and until there are some game developers that actually test this out (or Nintendo actually decides to confirm all the specs).

The point that I've been making (well I got away from stating to you) is that if the suspected specs of the CPU/GPU contained in the Wii are correct, there is little overhead available for these advanced physics engines to run on the Wii. (The Wii seemingly having a 64bit single core CPU, and an ATI GPU. Neither of these contains a large amount of memory) Based on this information, it doesn't seem like the Wii has that much overhead for complex physics engines (granted it is restricted to SD, and that may allow for some extra processing power)

Back