Dolby Pro Logic (II) vs Dolby Digital

PhartingYoshi

Open a Window!
Jan 25, 2007
Parafield Gardens, South Australia
Wii Online Code
3560-7982-1647-3145
Yeh, you saw the title. Which one truly is superior?

I haven't set eyes on a PS3 yet, so I dunno about that, but the XBOX360 uses Dolby Digital (and sometimes PLII), and the Wii uses PL/PLII.

As far as I understand, Digital uses 5 seperate physical channels to deliver the 5.1 sound, which can yield more direct surround sound, and more accurately. The problem with Digital is, I cannot seem to find any devices anywhere, to support this standard. So far, the only source of true dolby digital sound I can find is an HDMI cable. Anyone wanting to harness Dolby Digital will have a hard time finding sufficient support.

Now, Dolby Pro Logic (or Pro Logic II) is a surround sound method where 5 channels of sound are encoded using spatializing effects in just 2 cables (channels). This is the method both the GC and Wii have used, and this method appears to be far more common as it's what most DVDs and DVD players use.

The thing is... why is the emulated method more supported then the true method of surround sound? Don't get me wrong, PLII still delivers fantastic sound comparable to Digital itself, but I still find it odd that Digital has little support.

Your thoughts/comments?

I don't know if you are being just specific to the video game world, but Dolby Digital is superior and has far ranging support. I doubt there's a DVD player that's been made in the past 5 years that does not support Dolby Digital. Almost every DVD movie itself will support either Dolby Digital or DTS (or both). Most of them support Dolby Digital through an optical conector or a coax connector. HDMI is more recent and typically is found more in the high-def world.

Agreed. Pro Logic II is really good. [See: GameCube - Resident Evil 4] But Dolby Digital is that much better. DTS is more or less the same as Dolby Digital. Keep in mind, it's all useless unless you have a receiver that can support it.

Ok, I visited the shops today and did find something supporting digital. It's simply a direct in > direct out 5 channel amp, as the 5 channels are managed by the source itself. However, having tested both Digital and PLII on an XBOX 360, I find that they perform no differently, PLII just requires a little setup on your receiver.

Gotta disagree with you on that one... They perform VERY differently. If you don't notice a difference, it's your equipment. ProLogic II is just an expanded stereo signal. It sounds really good and works well, but nowhere near as well as Dolby 5.1.

Back