DSi = DS2?

baldbull

WiiChat Member
Jan 25, 2009
PA
With the DSi coming out...will all games start being only DSi compatible and not DS? I know the online downloadable (wiiware) type games will be but I am curious about all games.

I think there may be some game specific that will use the new hardware (camera) but otherwise they are just the same device...

Expect to see a few games that have extra DSi features incorporated (using the camera or the dual touch screens) but will still run on the original DS. I doubt that there will be any DSi specific games for a long time though.

Other than that, the main use will be downloading games onto the SD card.

For the conference that announced the DSi, you can go there:

http://www.irwebcasting.com/081002/34/36e60ea959/d4c5000436_hi.html

But raisinghelen must be wrong when he is saying that both screen will be touch screens. The screens are larger, but they have the same functions as in the DS and DS lite.

Iwata stated that the DS will remain on sale even when the DSi will be available. cheaper, and will get a wider audience depending on what people are searching for.

I also learn from that clip that the Wii will have a software upgrade in 2009 to help the file management from internal to SD cards. Great! I feel like the SD card I putted there is not worth it for now, that may change!

From my understanding the DSi is just a DS without the GBA slot, added two cameras and made things more organized. Light to show your online, buttons for volume instead of slider etc.

Obviously games will use the cameras incorporated too. I'm excited for this, I'm glad I didn't buy a DS yet because I will wait for this.

Well, going with nintendos handheld timeline, it went Gameboy, Gameboy color, Gameboy advance, and then Gameboy Advance SP. So im guessing its going to be, Nintendo Ds, Nintendo DS lite, Nintendo DSI, then probably Nintendo DSI lite? im unoriginal in names, but thats how it probably will go, and then they will probably make another hand held which has again, backwards compatibility for DS games, and then new games for -insert future handheld game here-

its just an upgrade similar to DS fat to DS lite. Probably another 1 1/2, 2 years till we see or even hear of a truly NEW hand held system

The coolest thing about the DSi is the DSi shop. And maybe the fact that it is also more like the Wii: you can switch from one app to the other without shutting it down, from what I understand at least!

What I have not found is:

- does is supports 802.11G/N networking? Iwata said it was going to be faster than the DS Lite, but how?
- will it support WAP/WAP2 encryption, instead of being limited to the loosy WEP
- is there many software available on DSi shop?

That kind of thing, where the DSi would have an advantage over the DS Lite.

Back