Dumbledore has been outed!

Budo

Raging Clue
Sep 19, 2007
Canadia
From a CNN article:

She was asked by one young fan whether Dumbledore finds "true love."

"Dumbledore is gay," the author responded to gasps and applause.

She then explained that Dumbledore was smitten with rival Gellert Grindelwald, whom he defeated long ago in a battle between good and bad wizards. "Falling in love can blind us to an extent," Rowling said of Dumbledore's feelings, adding that Dumbledore was "horribly, terribly let down."

Dumbledore's love, she observed, was his "great tragedy."

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

So I'm confused - as I'm not a big Harry Potter fan - but this wasn't revealed in any of the books or movies, or was it?

What's everyone's take on this: Does anyone think she wanted to include this is any of the books, but thought there would be too much backlash against it? or do you think she felt it had no relevance, or importance to the storyline?

Isn't there already a thread about this?

And I was talking about this with my Media class today, we figured that seeing as the books are over now maybe she thought it would be funny to just make up random crap about all the characters ^_^

surfinrach90 said:
Isn't there already a thread about this?

And I was talking about this with my Media class today, we figured that seeing as the books are over now maybe she thought it would be funny to just make up random crap about all the characters ^_^

Possibly, I did a search for Dumbledore before I posted it, but nothing came up.

My guess is that she felt it unimportant to the storyline. It would seem tacked on if he just came out and said, "Oh btw, I'm gay." The story would almost have to include a love interest for him, in order for his sexuality to be announced without it seeming like it was put in solely as an attention grabber, but rather as a real relationship gone bad with unfinished business.

But it didn't need to be mentioned, think of all the fanfiction... "Albus Iloveitinthebackdore."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I honestly can't believe I didn't think of that one :lol:

I know why she didn't include it in any books, just imagine.

Harry looked on in shock as professor dumbledore embraced his one true love severes snake. for a brief moment there tounges were one.
I don't want to go any further

p.s. 9 months later snake gave birth

There has never been any mention of Dumbledore's romantic life. I always just thought he was more important than romance.

I suppose she didn't bother including it so she can make the point that it makes no difference in the books. Perhaps people would not have liked Dumbledore so much if they knew. There are lots of stuff about the characters that JK Rowling has never mentioned.

For example - Professor McGonnagoll could be lesbian.

Frogger said:
But it didn't need to be mentioned, think of all the fanfiction... "Albus Iloveitinthebackdore."
:lol:

I believe that J.K Rowling has been consumed by greed, and as a marketing ploy, announced that Dumbledore is homosexual. Doing this in the hope that thebooks appeal will branch out further.

Frogger said:
That truly is a classic. :lol:
But yeah, I always thought of Dumbledore as a fatherly figure to Harry, so I was kind of shocked to hear about this. But I personally think that the author just did this for a campaign of some sort.

Back