DVD Burning?

LevesqueIsKing

An Instant Classic
Apr 4, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
Thats right, I know you've all been waiting for it. Its time for yet another round of: Explain technology to Leve because he has no idea what to do!

Alright, so recently I've decided to look into burning some dvd's and I decided to come here first because you guys know what you're talking about.

So, DVD Burning. I suppose I'll need a DVD Burner, eh?
1. About how much do they cost?
2. Can I find them at an average electronic store?

Now, the how to:
3. Is it just as easy as burning CD's? If not, could someone give me a quick run-down of how to do it and how difficult it is?
4. Can you burn a burnt DVD?
5. Anything else I need to know before attempting this? Its legal as long as I don't sell them, right?

Thanks in advance for the help, guys.

Last edited:
LevesqueIsKing said:
Thats right, I know you've all been waiting for it. Its time for yet another round of: Explain technology to Leve because he has no idea what to do!

Alright, so recently I've decided to look into burning some dvd's and I decided to come here first because you guys know what you're talking about.

So, DVD Burning. I suppose I'll need a DVD Burner, eh?
1. About how much do they cost?
2. Can I find them at an average electronic store?

Now, the how to:
3. Is it just as easy as burning CD's? If not, could someone give me a quick run-down of how to do it and how difficult it is?
4. Can you burn a burnt DVD?
5. Anything else I need to know before attempting this? Its legal as long as I don't sell them, right?

And on a slightly off-topic but slightly more urgent note: I'm trying to delete some information (Pictures that I took and Music that I downloaded) from my SD Card and it won't let me. It says, "Cannot Delete: The Disk is Write Protected. Remove the Write Protection or Insert Another Disk." This puzzles me because all of the information is mine, and is therefore not copyrighted (thats what write-protected stands for, right?). Does anyone know how to delete the data or remove the write protection so that I can delete the data?

Thanks in advance for the help, guys.

I'm passing through so this might be a little succinct, but:

1. Generic brands in the $30-35 online/DO, walkin (like BB) probably closer to $50

2. Yes, everyone has them

3. Just as easy as a CD with the proper tools, there's decent support in Winders :) but some excellent 3rd party solutions like Nero. Macs have excellent native/OS support for drive burning/authoring. (not sure what platform you're on).

4. Yes you can, which is the point of digital media, there's no degridation from one gen to the next.

5. Not even going to get into this, ask one of the 15 year old legal counsels that seem to be in abundance on this board :D

Bonus Info:

You'll want to look into a Dual Layer (DL) - nearly every standard video DVD uses two different layers - you might even notice the layer change about 1/2 through the movie, where there's a slight pause. You might see this documented as DVD-9 (these are 8.5GB data format vs. 4.7GB). Otherwise you have to re-compress or strip content out.

The blank media (DL) is a little more expensive (like $1.25-$1.40 vs. $0.35-$0.60 each). Dual layer drives can R/W single layer as well (plus all CD formats, and most drives handle re-writable)

RE: the SD card

There's a small switch on the card itself that can be set to allow/disallow writing to the card, it may have gotten moved into the "locked" position.

OK, under 3 minutes, I'm out, Seeya!

DT

^I really can't thank you enough. These are just the answers I was looking for and now I've got another thing to watch out for the day after Thanksgiving :lol:

And wow, I can't believe I was stupid enough to not think of checking the lock on the SD Card. Thanks again.

Back