DVD-Playing Wii?

Inspire

'';aM;'' Inspire
Oct 31, 2006
Louisiana
Wii Online Code
7368-8559-7526-8152
Feel free to beat me with a wet noodle if somebody else has already posted this.

SOURCE: Wii Lounge - Story: Wii Lite?

From reports in Japan, the Wii console, which is currently not able to play DVD’s, might well be getting an updated version within the next year. Much like the DS Lite was released as an extension of the DS genre, a second Wii is slated for releas sometime in 2007, which will include the capability to play DVD’s.

If an updated console were to be released next year, we would also surely see the addition of box ready HD so that the hassle of purchasing additional component cables online will not be required. It’s likely that this will also be the time at which other console colours are released. While this updated version has only been rumoured in Japan, it seems likely that it if it were released, it would be available worldwide at some point.

I hope that's not the case, just because I hat to think I could get a better deal if I wait.... :scared:

Nintendo, what from i read, has no plans to put a DVD player into the Wii console. But it wouldnt be fair to do a Wii Lite for only japan and making us wait longer. Dont worry, buy a Wii at launch and you will be happy (or only a couple days after).

They are planning on putting a DVD player into the Wii but only in Japan (from what i've read).

^Seriously?!? Well i think that is not the best idea Because:
1) Its not Fair Japan gets it and other countries dont
2) This console is for gaming not for watching DVD's.
Though it would be kool, i think it is wrong.

Thankz For the Update:)

...wish people would stop worrying about a dvd playing wii...like the third or so thread aboutit. Buy it to play games and play dvd's on one of the 5 players you already have, and if japan gets it fine I'm not worrying about it because I'm getting myWii weeks before others around. with my xbox and ps2 that makes 7 dvd players (included garage and car) for me one more isn't going to make me happier

^totally agree with you. I console is for playing not to watch movies. Thats why i think the Wii will rock!! :p

I didn't realize somebody else had posted a link to this story already...

Not everyone has 7 dvd players. I've only got one.

EDIT: It's not that I need it to play DVDs, I'd just kinda feel like I got jipped if a year down the road, the Wii could play DVDs out of the box... You hate to feel like you missed something just because you wanted it soon - even if it's not something you need.

Last edited:
nuthin big even if it did release to me, i got a dvd player!!! prolly like most other people in these forums

Ah, but you'd have to rip the movie and have a pretty big SD card (those things aren't cheap...)

why would you waste a good SD card to put a movie on when you can just stick a dvd into your DVD player like it was meant to, and if you only have one, it doesn't take two to play one disc.

Right, I never said I needed 2 DVD players to play one disc, though.

You said that you had 7 and that one more wouldn't make a difference - which makes a lot of sense. I said I only have one - to me, having an extra DVD player would be kinda nice.

right... you'll just have to pardon me. I apologize for being a little rude, just aggravates me to see people bring up it not being fair for those in Japan to have a dvd playing Wii when they have to wait so much longer to get it, and I trynotto be rude to people butI'm only human :) but either way I really would if you need another DVD player reccomend picking one up for 20 at walmart. The main reason for that being rented dvd's pick up lots of scratches and dirt and I don't want blockbuster claiming the lense in my Wii and others should be worried about that as well for all their game systems...

Back