Epic Games: Give Us HD Wii and We'll Talk

castlezelda

WiiChat Member
Feb 7, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
VP of Epic has admits that a more powerful Wii would interest him

Do you like Epic Games? Sure you do. Do you want them to make games for the Wii? Well tough. At the moment the Wii just isn't powerful enough to handle the Epic's Unreal Engine, according to Mark Rein, VP of the company.

Rein recently spoke about the difficulties of porting the engine to Nintendo's machine:

You'd just be stretching it too thin; I just don't see it as worthwhile. But you know if Nintendo comes out with a Wii 2 or a Wii HD, and it's got a couple more processors and a little more memory and better graphics, then yes we'll be on it.

I'm not saying there's no interest in being on as many platforms as possible, but it's just that you have to be on the ones you're good at. We're a very high-end engine, and we have the best tools and awesome visuals and great physics. It's more likely the platform will rise up to meet us than we'll go down [to customise our technology for it].

The question is does Nintendo even need to try and compete with MS and Sony's higher tech as they are vastly outselling them at the moment? The Wii is technically behind and seems happy to stay there, so Nintendo has no need to rock the boat at the moment. Why would Nintendo want to jump out of their safety zone, you might ask?

heres the link http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2009/07/epic_games_give_us_hd_wii_and_well_talk

who cares - unreal isn't even that good,i have unreal III on my PC and its boring.

I know why they hate the Wii, THEY'RE LAZY DEVELOPERS!!
Becose they can't affort improving their skills working with a limited hardware, they preffer the easy way working only in powerfull machines avoiding the issues and gliches that they need to fix with the Wii.
This is a stupid and nonsense PARADIGM Mr. Rein, the console hardware is powerfull as the talent and skills of the developer can do to improve and maximize the hardware's features.
There's a fundamental rule, in the words of my programing teacher " If the hardware is limited the software can overtake these limitations".

"There's many ways to solve and surpass hardware limitations, the real challenge is try to find them, but it's still there"
The developers know this, why they don't apply this rule for the Wii is a complete mistery, Nintendo everytime knows that when his console cycle ends the developers only reach the 60 or 70 percent of the console's total capacity.
That is why Nintendo made the Wii a low horsepower console, to try to FORCE the developers to put effort and be more creative when programing a Nintendo console and finnaly top the hardware 100 percent.
You know the money talks, if Nintendo offers to Epic a huge amount of money to make a exclusive hardcore game for Wii using an updated UE3 engine like Microsoft and Sony did. Epic, sure may do it without take care of the hardware limitations!!
And the result will be a high quality game very close to that we see on the xbox360/ps3!!

Last edited:
Good list - Dues Ex was absolutely amazing! i still like GRAW and i didnt know the new Red Steel 2 was going to use there engine,if Epic are reading - i apologise :)

Now start making games for the Wii.

Last edited:
who cares - unreal isn't even that good,i have unreal III on my PC and its boring.

Unreal Tournament is a game, Game =/= Engine. Boring game =/= bad engine.

Good list - Dues Ex was absolutely amazing! i still like GRAW and i didnt know the new Red Steel 2 was going to use there engine,if Epic are reading - i apologise :)

Red Steel 1 used it also, so it goes to show there's a lot more to making a good game than a good engine.

I never played RS 1 mucka but i only recieved my Wii this christmas and i believe that was a launch title,got terrible reviews along the lines of "controls dont work"

Been following the second one though and its looking very good.

I know why they hate the Wii, THEY'RE LAZY DEVELOPERS!!
Becose they can't affort improving their skills working with a limited hardware, they preffer the easy way working only in powerfull machines avoiding the issues and gliches that they need to fix with the Wii.
This is a stupid and nonsense PARADIGM Mr. Rein, the console hardware is powerfull as the talent and skills of the developer can do to improve and maximize the hardware's features.
There's a fundamental rule, in the words of my programing teacher " If the hardware is limited the software can overtake these limitations".

"There's many ways to solve and surpass hardware limitations, the real challenge is try to find them, but it's still there"
The developers know this, why they don't apply this rule for the Wii is a complete mistery, Nintendo everytime knows that when his console cycle ends the developers only reach the 60 or 70 percent of the console's total capacity.
That is why Nintendo made the Wii a low horsepower console, to try to FORCE the developers to put effort and be more creative when programing a Nintendo console and finnaly top the hardware 100 percent.
You know the money talks, if Nintendo offers to Epic a huge amount of money to make a exclusive hardcore game for Wii using an updated UE3 engine like Microsoft and Sony did. Epic, sure may do it without take care of the hardware limitations!!
And the result will be a high quality game very close to that we see on the xbox360/ps3!!

Someone needs their pills.

Back