firmware question, no wifi and dialup

acdc4life91

WiiChat Member
Apr 9, 2007
I searched around and i couldn't find anything so don't hate me if this has been asked before. I have dial-up and i might get broadband soon and might not. I don't have a wireless dial-up thingy like some people are doing. Is there a way i can bypass and get a firmware update some other way like the nintendo website or something. Help is appreaciated and i don't care if it would take a long time on a computer.

acdc4life91 said:
I searched around and i couldn't find anything so don't hate me if this has been asked before. I have dial-up and i might get broadband soon and might not. I don't have a wireless dial-up thingy like some people are doing. Is there a way i can bypass and get a firmware update some other way like the nintendo website or something. Help is appreaciated and i don't care if it would take a long time on a computer.

Nope, you must have broadband with a wireless router or Broadband with a USB ethernet adaptor for your wii.

Retman said:
Nope, you must have broadband with a wireless router or Broadband with a USB ethernet adaptor for your wii.

Not true. You should not need broadband to access the internet through your wii, it'll just be fairly slow in comparison and probably wouldn't make for very enjoyable online gaming. As far as sending messages and downloading Miis is concerned (in addition to a little light browsing through the Wii's Opera Browser) dialup should be okay, but don't expect too much from it. You can get wired networking hardware to connect your wii with some LAN (CAT5) cable.

I'd highly reccomend broadband though, it's alot easier and faster, plus if you have a wireless router you can connect wirelessly without extra cabling. That's what I'm running on at the moment, and it's so much nicer :D

Broadband is recommened by nintendo, when games come out you'll may get much lag using Dial up.

Broadband you'll definitely need if you intend to do some gaming online. When you do, make sure to get a good package that offers you some decent download limits, because you can use up some serious bandwidth with online gaming.

Kinda reminds me of the glory days of Counter-Strike back in '00/'01 where you could play it on dialup... On one long boring Saturday (they were kinda boring in those days) I spent a whole day playing CS online and a few days later when our ISP bill came in there was a massive spike in the graph when I had my CS binge, man I copped a yelling from my older brother for it that day!

Back then you had to pay per megabyte if you went over your dialup download limit *sigh* so hard to believe that was only a few years ago

i have dial up and im sharing it between 3 pcs and my WII with a wireless router. It's a pain to setup and the only things that work on the wii are the weather channel the news channel and the update the shopping channel won't load.

With dialup Shop Channel doesn't work. It's a bug of Wii Software, it's certified by an expert that is my friend.

Back