Formatted internal memory, copy gamesaves back?

dakster

WiiChat Member
Jan 8, 2007
I had a wii connect 24 problem after failing to disable wii connect 24 before removing the battery in the wii, and in order to "fix" the issue I had to format my internal memory. [Note: Do not remove the battery without first disabling wiiconnect24 in the setup]

I backed up my mii's and gamesaves. The mii's are back, and I was able to redownload all my channels including the vc's I've purchased.

However, when I go to copy my game saves back from my SD card, it says I have to play the game first or something along those lines. Anyone seen this and know a way around it?

I figure I'm probably going to have to plod through all my games for a bit to get the first gamesave up there, but I have a lot of games and was wondering if anyone knew of a shortcut. Any tips?

try this if you have a pc and/ or 2 SD cards..

PLAY all games once, then save progress onto a CLEAN NEW SD card.

take both cards to a pc

if you open the 'private' folder on the sd card it will take you,eventually to a file called data.bin. this is your save file for the specific game.

by copying the correct data.bin files from your original SD to the new SD you will be able to continue with your games where you left off.

MAKE SURE YOU COPY THE CORRECT data.bin FILE TO EACH SAVE GAME BY NOTING THE EXACT PATH EACH TIME

I've been able to do this with saves distibuted over the net so it should work for you........

Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize how bad it was. Guess I have my project for the night :)
Never, ever, going to forget to disable connect24 before removing that battery again :)

its easy.
really.
if you save the whole file structure from the private folder down you are probably looking at copying 7 or 8 small files.......

as i said before, be really careful to copy the correct ones and all will be well

wait...i also got a question... so let say your playing Zelda.. and your at the last boss. can you just post your save .data file online and let someone elses save it on their SD and play it as you?
Edit: sorry to be off topic =3

Yes you can, I believe the big site for posting and downloading game saves is www.wiisave.com. They also have the howtos for how to accomplish this, it's not a simple copy to and from unfortunately, but you can do it without too much effort apparently.

dakster said:
Yes you can, I believe the big site for posting and downloading game saves is www.wiisave.com. They also have the howtos for how to accomplish this, it's not a simple copy to and from unfortunately, but you can do it without too much effort apparently.

yes dakster wiisave is the site. If you have 2 SD cards, one for your own games and one for the copied saves (transfer your save point onto each one from the internal memory first) it becomes a case of copying files........ easy peasy

Hope you managed to sort the original problem....

Actually, all I had to do is load up each game once, delete the newly created save file in the wii's memory, and then it allowed me to copy the data over from the SD card. I didn't have to shuffle data.bin files at all. Still don't get why you have to jump through those hoops, but hopefully I won't have to go through that again. Thanks for all the help!

hey - no problem. its why the net is great! sharing! aaahh!

Back