Wii's Internal Memory

KaDee

Intellectual Visionary
Oct 16, 2006
Wii Online Code
6267-1290-5033-7224
With the size of the internal memory (cant remember how big it actually is), does anyone know or reckon you will atleast be able to save one games file saves to it, before having to buy a SD memory card?

Meaning, will I be able to just spend £220 for the Wii and Z:TP on launch day or take more with me to assure I will be able to save my game on the 1st day of play? :rolleyes:

KaDee said:
With the size of the internal memory (cant remember how big it actually is), does anyone know or reckon you will atleast be able to save one games file saves to it, before having to buy a SD memory card?

Meaning, will I be able to just spend £220 for the Wii and Z:TP on launch day or take more with me to assure I will be able to save my game on the 1st day of play? :rolleyes:
You save A LOT more than that. There are a TON of save slots avaliable on the Wii.

Homesrfan said:
You save A LOT more than that. There are a TON of save slots avaliable on the Wii.

I see. I only asked for confirmation being as the figure for the memory I recall seeing was messured by 'MB', and to me I would of felt more secure seeing it as 'GB' lol.

Really its down to how much the file saves take up, because the internal memory could be just 100KB, but aslong as each file save only takes up 1KB, thats 100 game saves you can store.

KaDee said:
I see. I only asked for confirmation being as the figure for the memory I recall seeing was messured by 'MB', and to me I would of felt more secure seeing it as 'GB' lol.

Really its down to how much the file saves take up, because the internal memory could be just 100KB, but aslong as each file save only takes up 1KB, thats 100 game saves you can store.
Right - saves don't really take up that much do they? I should have checked at gamestop. I went into settings and viewed the internal memory and it said there was an Excite Truck save. I should have seen how big of a file it was.

Homesrfan said:
Right - saves don't really take up that much do they? I should have checked at gamestop. I went into settings and viewed the internal memory and it said there was an Excite Truck save. I should have seen how big of a file it was.

Lets hope not... Aslong as I can get TP and Wii on launch straight after work and get home to play and save my progress, its fine by me :D

512MB internal is more than enough for a good few save-games. They will differ from game to game. You can always back it up with an SD when you need to though.

M.

PS2 Games average out to taking up about 400kb per game. So I'll estimate Wii to 500 just because its an easy number to work with mentally. Figure for every 1 MB you can save 2 game saves. And 500kb is really only for the big adventure games but just to put your mind to ease i'll make all games 500kb. 1MB takes 2 game saves if your using it for purely game saves 512MB some of it will be used for remembering your wii settings and all that take it down to 500 thats 1,000 game saves. Of course there is the virtual console. I should warn you N64 Games are pretty big, I would say average about 15MB, but if you think about it. If someones rich enough to buy 30 N64 Games(300 Bucks) then I don't think buying an SD card would be much of a problem. Now for you hardcore old school gamers you have nothing to worry about(most of you atleast) Nes Games take up average about 250kb. Thats 2000 Nes Games jammed into the card when theres only about 950 USA Nes games out there. Snes Games are about 1.5 some go up pretty high though I should warn. but still every 3MB is 2 games thats about 330 games. Each one is 8 bucks i believe so filling up your card will run you 2500+, so unless theres a way to put music into your wii and you dont feel like listening to it on your computer a few feet away memory shouldnt be much of a problem.

yeah rember how many saves you could store on the ps2 memry cards and those were only 5mb so everything sohould be fine for now. we may start to need SD when they satart doing downloadable content and other stuff like that

Zori said:
PS2 Games average out to taking up about 400kb per game. So I'll estimate Wii to 500 just because its an easy number to work with mentally. Figure for every 1 MB you can save 2 game saves. And 500kb is really only for the big adventure games but just to put your mind to ease i'll make all games 500kb. 1MB takes 2 game saves if your using it for purely game saves 512MB some of it will be used for remembering your wii settings and all that take it down to 500 thats 1,000 game saves. Of course there is the virtual console. I should warn you N64 Games are pretty big, I would say average about 15MB, but if you think about it. If someones rich enough to buy 30 N64 Games(300 Bucks) then I don't think buying an SD card would be much of a problem. Now for you hardcore old school gamers you have nothing to worry about(most of you atleast) Nes Games take up average about 250kb. Thats 2000 Nes Games jammed into the card when theres only about 950 USA Nes games out there. Snes Games are about 1.5 some go up pretty high though I should warn. but still every 3MB is 2 games thats about 330 games. Each one is 8 bucks i believe so filling up your card will run you 2500+, so unless theres a way to put music into your wii and you dont feel like listening to it on your computer a few feet away memory shouldnt be much of a problem.

Thanks for the clarification :D

just to be safe im going to get a 1gb (not 2 those are too expensive) sd card because those are only $60 unlike the psp ones

Don't bother amon, seriously if all you're using the internal memory for is game saves you will never run out of space, I mean I have an 8mb PS2 memory card and ~20 games and it's just filled up.

If you want to show your pictures on the Wii etc then you may want an SD card to transfer them across or if you're a really big fan of the Virtual Console (I'm not my money will go on present games). No one knows how big the downloadable content will be so I'd advise you to wait until that's released then decide if you want to spend the $60

I was watching a video of the Wii, where they went into the Memory Card section. There were 3 saves, and when he moved the cursor over the Zelda save file, it said it was 1 block. The screen also said there were around 2100 blocks remaining.

I remember on the Cube, some of the games used a huge amount of blocks (Rainbow 6 Lockdown = 58 blocks | Tiger Woods 2004 = 40 blocks) where most used very few blocks, (Metroid Prime = 3 Blocks | Super Mario Sunshine = 7 Blocks).

I suppose it all depends on the game, and the developers. If a game as big as Metroid can be stored in 3 blocks, then I'm sure they could do the same with the games on the Wii.

Back