Freshly Picked - Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

Frogger

God Complex
Feb 16, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Wii Online Code
9156-1265-6763-2556
tingleboxfh5.jpg

Having searching the interwebs this very night for some freaky games that were only released in Japan I found this, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland. Which, to me, screams masculinity, hitting most of their male orientated audience right on the head. But, I suppose that it is Japan. So, I decided to do some research on the querky game to find out what it's actually about, I faced myself with the great Gods from Wikipedia. The plot summed up is basically this:

The plot of Freshly Picked - Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland follows Tingle's transformation from a rather ordinary middle-aged man into his green-clothed fairy persona. Such a story starts when a voice echoes throughout Tingle's home summoning him to a spring west of his house. There, Rupeeji, an old man with a Rupee for his head, offers Tingle a life in paradise if Tingle feeds Rupees into a tower found under the spring, causing it to grow upwards towards the sky. Tingle agrees, and Rupeeji transforms Tingle into a new form where Rupees become his source of life.
However, at the end of the game the player learns that Rupeeji has been deceiving Tingle all along, causing Tingle to battle against him.

Tingle, as the greedy little paedophile he is now has a quest with a man who has a giant rupee for a head.

From my other Wikipedia browsing I noticed the information on the right of the game. Turns out it's also set for a European release date. Now, America get everything first, basically, but, woah, yes, WE GET a camp man in spandex. But, anyway, this game interests me, I want to see this fellow with a head solely made out of rupee. I also would like the ability to kill Tingle, a lot, it's what he gets for being a ripoff in Wind Waker.

So, you're too lazy to research it for yourselves and want me to tell you about the gameplay? Or, you've ran off crying because you're american, okay, I can deal with that.

The object of Freshly Picked - Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland is to continually build up a tower found under a spring to the west of Tingle's house. In order to do this the player must feed rupees into the tower. Subsequent gameplay is built upon finding as much money as possible, but is also mixed with traditional Zelda dungeon adventuring and puzzle elements. Among this, however, is a deep bargaining system for interacting with NPCs, as items and information must be bought via offering what the player thinks is a suitable price. If the price is too low, the player may not receive anything, but if the price offered is too high they may be needlessly spending too much.

Nonetheless, finding and collecting money remains the core goal of Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, and there are many ways to achieve this.

Okay, so, I've told you all of that (from Wikipedia) and you want to know what the fighting scenes are like, because you're a man and totally engulfed in this game which brings you oh so much happiness reading about:

Although completing dungeons can be likened to that in the Legend of Zelda series, combat is much more different to the combat elements of such a series. Instead of having a large amount of direct input into the battles, within Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland the player simply engages an enemy, at which point both Tingle and the enemy character turn into a ball of dust as they fight. Then the player can either tap the screen to rally support for Tingle, or use the stylus to move the fight around the screen.

Although Tingle's Rupee count depletes as he fights with an enemy, successfully defeating one results in Rupees and rare items. By engaging multiple enemies in battles, by moving the dust cloud over them, although Tingle loses more Rupees early on in the battle, the amount of rewards multiply.

Furthermore, in order to assist Tingle within the battles, the player can acquire support characters to help him within combat, and also when completing dungeons. There are 30 of these characters over all, and they must be bargained with in order for them to help. These characters come in small, medium and large sizes, such description reflecting their strength and power perimeters.

To me, that seems a kick in the ass, but, dust bunnies may actually be useful.

So, thoughts on this game due to set sail in Europe in September of this year?

EMA ahoy.

Last edited:
Looks very interesting, I was always a fan of that Tingle. You might also want to post some other pictures from the game so people get a general idea of what it's about. I guess this game is only in Japan, too bad.

FR. said:
Looks very interesting, I was always a fan of that Tingle. You might also want to post some other pictures from the game so people get a general idea of what it's about. I guess this game is only in Japan, too bad.

You could import from Europe, but I don't know why you'd want it that badly. Apart from the badass green case cover.

I can't find any more pictures, however. :sick:

Back