Game Idea - Online Melee Fighting

sanman

WiiChat Member
Nov 18, 2009
Toronto
I came up with an idea that I thought would be really cool and different for a game.

Imagine if you could have an online game where there are no shooting weapons, and you can only fight using swords, axes, spears, fist-punching, etc. So this game could be medieval, before the invention of gunpowder, and it would use Motionplus for swords, axes, etc, but even if you didn't have Motionplus you could still play, but with more limited fighting moves.

Maybe the only shooting weapon that would be allowed would be the bow-and-arrow, using Motionplus like the archery game in Sports Resort, but it wouldn't do as much damage as melee weapons. Arrows would not be able to pierce thicker armor, and the only way to kill someone would be a good headshot or neck shot.

Yes, this type of melee fighting using the Wiimote and Motionplus would be more physical and tiring, but that's part of what would make the experience more immersive and challenging. Being in better shape would help you do better in the game, and it would even provide a form of exercise, and improve your body reflexes, etc.

We could have magic in the game, to make the game more interesting as a magical medieval story universe, but the magic would not be used for combat purposes, and would not be used to enhance weapons. So you would have to do your swordfighting or bowmanship the old-fashioned way, instead of being able to chop down 5 people with one blow, or shoot through 10 people with one arrow.

Additionally, you could have magical NPC enemies in the game, like demons, monsters, and other creatures. These magical beings might be able to shoot stuff, like fireballs, lightning bolts, etc, but you would not be able to play as them, or have these powers. You would only be able to fight melee style.

I think that it would be best to make such a game as massively multiplayer as possible, and that would have to be accomplished through dedicated gaming servers. This would allow for a persistent story world, where you could build up villages, castles, fortresses, etc, and fight wars against each other. Because of the melee-fighting nature of the game, there would be strength in numbers, and the more friends you have charging into battle with you, the better your chances of surviving and winning victories. So this is a game that would naturally force you to make friends and allies, and to work cooperatively.

What do you think of my idea?

I was hoping for something more like Wii Sports Resort:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMaZoWHO4YE[/ame]

Dynasty Warriors just has you draw slashes across the screen. It doesn't feel like a real swordfighting game.

Nothing can emulate a true sword fighting game as the impact of weapons clashing together is quite a feeling, plus the Wii mote isnt nice enough to hold with a standard sword grip

As true as that statement is Prinny, the video he posted does seem to be pretty good actually. Which is surprising considering it's a part of Wii Sports Resort, a game I swore off at it's announcement.

Back