Hands-on with Mario Kart Wii (Verdict: Game is great, Wheel is rubbish)

Caliko said:
I hope so. I will prolly be using the Wiimote w/out the Wheel if that's the case.

I'm actually starting to get annoyed by gamecube controller compatibility. It's like Nintendo is taking a step back instead of looking forward. This gives more reason for critics to call the Wii remote a "gimick" and also slows down the adoption of motion sensing and gives developers another reason to be lazy.

I just hope there is no advantage to using the GC controller over the Wiimote.

Or Nintendo's top two games this year will have devolved the whole flagship quality of the console: motion control with the Wiimote.

So exactly what position do you hold the wheel in? Like in a car with the Wiimote facing you, and then you turn left and right like in a car?

What if you don't use the wheel but rather just the Wiimote? Do you still hold it with the buttons facing you and turn it on the same axis as with the wheel? That seems really awkward.

Sweet I'll be using the Wheel simply because it will keep the Woo mote level while turning. The main problem you have With excite truck over time. Also too the resistants thing goes away over time. Excite truck had zero resistance and it controlled great. Yes the Wii wheel may be a peace of plastic but I expected no more than that. I'm seriously thinking of making so molds for the Wii mote after I buy a few Wii gun attachments I like!

@Atomheart your right in excite truck some people play it flat and some play it with button facing you the Wii wheel clears all that up design wise. Also too I'm really ready to see what the difference is going to be controller wise verses Wiimote wise. The leader board is what I wanted day one purchase! Can't wait to try out that wheel on excite truck too! Along with other racers.

Man All of that tap tap will be gone and the power slide I do in ecite truck will be like a dream come true! Seriously the Wii mote for turning is the sh!t yet you will need practice just like all mario kart games.

Nice InFo!

Atomheart said:
...Nintendo's top two games this year will have devolved the whole flagship quality of the console: motion control with the Wiimote.

That's what I've been trying to say the whole time. Not only is this a shame on Nintendo, but it also encourages lazy development and gives critics more reason to call Wii a gimmick.

It's obvious that most of the people on here haven't played Excite Truck. Let me try to explain again this time using Metroid Prime 3 as an example. Ok, seriously guys, would you have played Prime 3 with the GC controller if it was compatable??
Now imagine Metroid Prime 3 with twice the accuracy. The Wii FPS interactivity can't touch Wii racing interactivity. Think of the accuracy in Wii Bowling, then apply that accuracy to racing. Yes the ball might not be as heavy as a real bowling ball, but the accuracy and interactive fun is SPOT ON.

Caliko said:
Again this doesn't seem to work to me in my head. I've been playing racing games since NES so I've tried all control schemes even the arcade wheels, and the jump from analog stick to motion sensing racing is like 480i to 1080p. The jump is HUGE!! And I still don't understand how a GC analog stick feels more real than actual hand, arm, and body gestures. I don't know what country ya'll are from, but over here he don't drive with our thumbs.

Like I told t3kni9e, don't reply until you've played Excite Truck. That will eliminate any speculation in your head.

Also, Brawl DOES use the Wii Remote ruling out your "not enough buttons" theory.

I have played Excite truck and i thought while the game was really fun the controls were completely terrible. Look at it this way with a real steering wheel you have resistance something to hold you from turning entirely too sharp. With the wiimote floating out in the air just in your hands you have no resistance so you could do a 180 degree turn in less than a second. That how ever is no where near possible on a analog stick because they just don't work that way. So maybe now you can see where i am coming from.

As from Brawl yes i know you can use the wiimote but every review i have read said those controls are terrible and unless you are a none gamer who wouldn't appreciate being able to use the gamecube controller then you would hate those controls too. Im not saying that there are not enough buttons for it to be possible i am just saying there are not enough buttons for it to feel just right and play perfect.

I have also been playing racing games since the NES era and i can see where you would say the jump from d-pad controls to analog controls was like the jump between 480i and 1080p, but as for the jump from analog to motion sensing well its more like the jump between 1080i and 1080p. Its not necessary at least not yet. Analog is more precise for right now eventually they will make the wiimote work well enough for racing games that i will want to use it, but not just yet

Belmont said:
I have played Excite truck and i thought while the game was really fun the controls were completely terrible. Look at it this way with a real steering wheel you have resistance something to hold you from turning entirely too sharp. With the wiimote floating out in the air just in your hands you have no resistance so you could do a 180 degree turn in less than a second. That how ever is no where near possible on a analog stick because they just don't work that way. So maybe now you can see where i am coming from.

I've NEVER had that problem with Excite Truck. The accuracy was precise as hell to me. Maybe there is no pleasing you with the Wii remote. I, like the mass public beleive motion controls are a HUGE improvement in gaming. I have people over all the time, and by the end of the night, the compliments on Excite Truck controls never end. Even if motion controls were like 1080p why would you insist on 1080i??

As for your opinion, like I said maybe there's no pleasing you there or maybe you haven't gotten a hang of the controls? When I play I don't do these crazy 300 degree turns. I play how I would drive in real life and it controls like a dream.

Of course I would like resistence technology in the Wii Remote just like I would like to have laser-light emmitters on the Wii Remote IR sensor. But when I balance out the options GC vs. Wii Remote it's like 100 to 1 in favor of motion control.

im not saying i dont like motion controls because i love them i just feel it doesnt fit for everything. I mean i would never would want to play a 3D metroid game again without the wiimote. I love the way The Godfather plays and mario party and well everygame that i have which is pretty much every first party game and a few third party.

I have stayed away from racing games on the wiimote because i just didnt think it felt right.

I just dont want you to get me wrong i love the wiimote i just feel sometimes a normal game pad would make the game more fun and we should be thankful nintendo gives us a choice to use that not in every game but on the ones where it might matter to someone.

Back