Help me get my Wii online! Please?

AtomicB

Sep 18, 2007
In my room. Working on project E-vile.
Wii Online Code
5873-1290-1753-2112
Okay, I need help. I want to connect my Wii to my router.

It won't let me.

I have the channel on 1.
I have WPA security.
It's a D-Link router (I think.)

What's going on. It detects the connection just fine when I search for an access point, but it doesn't connect to it.

do you have a device pairing button on your router ? If so press it before you try to connect

AtomicB said:
Okay, I need help. I want to connect my Wii to my router.

It won't let me.

I have the channel on 1.
I have WPA security.
It's a D-Link router (I think.)

What's going on. It detects the connection just fine when I search for an access point, but it doesn't connect to it.

I do have a DLink router, and it works ok.
Are you sure you typed the password ok ?
I've had the wii connected to a WEP AP and it was the device in my home that worked best, it never failed. When I changed to the DLink some thing. Must be a password problem...

AtomicB said:
The password is fine. 8 digits, right? Yeah, I even reset it to make sure it worked. I already tried switching it to WEP, still didn't work.

Typical WEP keys are 26 or 56 HEXadecimal digits, not only 8. Make sure the router is in SHARED KEY mode and that it's using key index #1.

WPA with TKIP will provide a much better security level and have been working ok for me.

Channel 1 may not be the best choice. Try something like 9 or 11.

Okay, it's on channel 9. I'm testing it right now.
(Thanks everyone, by the way.)

No luck, should I have 'Enable Auto Channel scan' enabled?

What about the '802.11 Mode' or the 'Channel Width'?

Last edited:
My guess is that auto scan should not be enabled.
The 802.11 mode should be "g". You can give it a try with "b" (only 11 Mbits).
If nothing more works try to relocate the router or the wii. The wii have 2 anttenas one horizontal and the other vertical, that helps but can't cope with situations where you have a lot of signal reflextions. A co-worker just told me about a situation he have in it's home. There's a room thare that have a large window, he can't get a good conexion if the window is closed. If he opens the window all works ok.
So, if your router is near the wii the signal may be to strong and the reflexions are flooding the anttenas.
Can you get a connections with other wireless device (maybe a laptop) in the same room ?

Back