Help with choosing my new laptop.

blueprint

Wii Thrive On Cold Winter
Dec 10, 2006
Wii Online Code
3210-4808-5309-8046
Could anyone here give me some help with choosing my new laptop.

EI SYSTEMS 3090 INTEL CELERON M 420 PROCESSOR 1.66GHz LAPTOP

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...sku=307066&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&tabIndex=1

ADVENT 8109 Laptop - ADVENT 8109 INTEL CELERON M 420 PROCESSOR 1.6GHz LAPTOP

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...sku=773711&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&tabIndex=1

Medion Widescreen Laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/ww_p2/product/index.jhtml?pid=50822571

These are the three laptops i have found within my budget, which is £400, please could someone help me choose one of these, or give a different laptop within that buget that can be bought in a chain store (popular store) such as PC World in England. I need the computer for school work, browsing the internet, downloads.

Also, which is the better operation system vista basic, windows media center, or XP.

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
comparing the EI and Advent I'd say the Advent. More ram, more HD, same processor, DVD drive, enough UBS port. Wireless ready, half hour more battery life. Looks better than the EI. The Medion has some nice features, but it's only half the ram of the Advent, and trust me, running Vista you're gonna want Ram over HD space and a built in microphone.

Personally I've only ever heard of EI. But for your budget,( which is around $780.00 US$) the specs your looking aren't bad.

A lot of it depends on what you need it for. If you're not happy with only 60 gig HD space then I'm sure you can find an external drive cheap somewhere to add on another 20 or 30 gigs. for 50 pounds or so (sorry, I don't know how to make the symbol:confused: )....haha or you can go for a 1TB HD for 205 pounds:lol:

The only major downfall I see with all 3 is the lack of firewire ports. It's alwasy good to have at least one

So yeah, All in all I would say go with the Advent

(P.S. If any of the currency conversion was wrong, I blame my widgets)

None of those I would choose, then again I have a Dual core laptop with
1gb of ram etc... ($1600), but for the best one I would choose the one with vista because it has the largest hard drive...
All those computers aren't very good though, I would just wait for awhile

Thanks for the help. Still cant decide thought can anyone else offer more views, also can any one give me more insight on, which is the better operation system vista basic, windows media center, or XP.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Personally mate i always go with IBM, im typing this off a T42 thinkpad, im looking to upgrde later in the year - but yeah they are worth saving for.

I wouldn't even hesitate with my choice last week:

Sony VGN-C2Z
1.66 Core Duo2 Intel
2Gb DDR2 SDram
120Gb HDD
WLAN
13.3" Screen
Windows Vista Home
£1100

Can't complain about Vista or Office2007 - a few things don't work at the min but we'll get there. Spot on - and I've had a few laptops to compare against but this is super fast.

Does any one know of the price for Office2007 in £.

about £100 - from Comet but should be that all over - Amazon might have it cheaper

I say, if you can, wait for a while. Let M$ fix the bugs and get direct X 10 up and running.

To bluprint, get openoffice. is open source and 10 times better than office. Can save in all M$ formats.

Back