Hidden Power

Judge

***** of another
May 14, 2007
In Your Heart
Do you use it? Whats your take on it as a move. I Think its worthless, but maybe I am not seeing the potential. The highest IVs you can even obtain is 31...

Last edited:
So with that said, what pokemon type do you think would benefit best from the move? If any in particular

Or you could teach it Psychic. Hidden Power is a good move in lots of circumstances, for instancee an electric pokemon learning HP Grass to take on ground pokemon (especially swampert), or a non-electric having HP electric for Gyarados, or HP Ice for Mence/Chomp.
I don't think you know how HP works, it's not 31 because of max IVs being 31, it is a move of a certain type and power depending on IVs, power ranges from 30-70 and it can be any type except normal (or ??? [the type of the move curse]).

Just like Massi4h, I think hidden power is a good move because your opponent doesnt know which HP you have (especially if it is used against a pokemon with more than 1 weakness). Like a HP fighting Yanmega is useful because it covers for its weakness against rock pokemon and it can also deal with Steel and Dark pokemon. Or HP Ice to deal with ground pokemon and Dragons.
The thing I hate about HP breeding is that it takes soooo long to do and can get quite complecated the combuinations needed to obtain a certain type of HP

Talking competitively, not just to get through the story AndThen?.

Anyways massi4h basically hit the nail with the hammer. Hidden Power is by far a great move, but breeding to get a good one can be such a pain.

For example, Magnezone. Some (A lot?) of people have Hidden Power on them, but hell which one? It can be carrying a nice HP Grass, or a HP Ice, which can throw anyone off for a while until they realize which one it is. But then again Magnezone would have probably smacked your Swampert or Donphan into a KO because you weren't expecting it.

If you feel you have the time to breed for it, great go for it. But expect it to take a while.

Thanks for the replies, and I now have a better understanding of Hidden Power. Big Ups to Massi4h ;). And as far as you AndThen? and PokeChamp, as i said before, you do not need Hidden Power to train an abra, And if i had come earlier to check the thread before Massi4h responded, i would have said the same thing in response to your ignorance. You can simply use TM 29 as an alternative to Hidden Power, or even move breed. It's not difficult.

Judge said:
So with that said, what pokemon type do you think would benefit best from the move? If any in particular

Hidden power, is best utilized by pokes that need a move to fit for certain type coverage that they, normally, do not have.

This may sound like a bad example, but this is exactly why hidden power exists
Say you wanted a flareon, flareon's biggest weakness is its small move pool, and water/ground types. Hidden Power [Grass] is what it would desperately love to have in its arsenal.
How about something a little more commonly used?
Infernape, in all his awsome depth and width of move pool, would not mind an Ice move, specialy on a special sweeper build. Its only option for that slot is Hidden Power [Ice]

I would have posted this last night sept a certain female had gave me a call, so I decided to post it late anyways..

Back