Hooking Wii up to PC monitor? And a few other things.

hey

Firstly, Australia, England and Sweden all use PAL based systems.

What is your current sound setup on your computer? do you just have stereo speakers? Do they plug into a stereo input? Well, I think you get a female Stereo RCA to female Jack Plug with the ZD-Z3 :), which you could plug standard stereo speakers into. But I think if you want to have your speakers hooked up to both your Nintendo Wii and Computer at the same time, then I think you will also need like a female to 2x male Stereo Y Splitter cable, which I think you may beable to get them from most electronic stores for very cheap. I think you would plug your speakers into the female jack, and plug one of the male jacks into the ZD-Z3's audio cable, and the other male jack into your computer :).

Finally, I fired off an email to VDigi Electronics to confirm a few things.
yosh64 email to VDigi Electronics said:
hey

I am writing this email to try and help someone determind if the VD-Z3 will work on their monitor. They would like to use it along with a PAL region Nintendo Wii.

Here are some details about their monitor that I think you would need to know.

LG Flatron L1919S, Flat Panel LCD TFT (Active Matrix)
Resolutions supported: 1024x768, 1152x870, 1152x900, 1280x1024, 640x480, 720x400, 800x600, 832x624, 640x350
Vertical Synchronization Range: 56 - 75 Hz
Horizontal Synchronization Range: 30 - 83 kHz

I was wondering if the VD-Z3 supports the PAL 576p @ 50Hz? as I think this is what the PAL region Nintendo Wii will output, rather than 480p @ 60Hz output by NTSC region Nintendo Wii systems (I was thinking maybe if you set the VD-Z3 to "Automatic format").

I have also read that various monitors aren't supported, and I was wondering why this is so? Is this due to the monitors not supporting the resolutions output by the console/ZD-V3? or is this due to something else?

Finally, I wanted to confirm if the VD-Z3 can output at a different resolution to the input resolution? I was a bit unsure, as I did read "Input and Output at same scanning format" in the "Supported Component In Video Modes" specs, but wasn't sure if this applied to all modes, or was specific to one mode or something.

Thanks, and I hope this is not to much trouble :\.

cyas
Hmm, maybe someone else here can answer these questions?

cyas

Last edited:
yosh64 said:
hey

Firstly, Australia, England and Sweden all use PAL based systems.

What is your current sound setup on your computer? do you just have stereo speakers? Do they plug into a stereo input? Well, I think you get a female Stereo RCA to female Jack Plug with the ZD-Z3 :). But I think if you want to have your speakers hooked up to your Nintendo Wii and Computer at the same time, then I think you will also need like a female to 2x male Stereo Y Splitter cable, which I think you may beable to get them from most electronic stores (you would plug your speakers into the female jack, and plug one of the male jacks into the ZD-Z3's audio cable, and the other male jack into your computer ;), so I thinks).

Finally, I fired off an email to VDigi Electronics to confirm a few things.

Hmm, maybe someone else here can answer these questions?

cyas

You are a savior. Let me finish off this research and I will post what I have found out so far. Thanks so much Buddie.

yeah i wanna get the cables so i can just go straight from monitor to console kinda like what im doing with my 360 right now...

Ok, to answer the speaker question. I just use normal PC speakers that plug into the speaker/headphone sockets (green and red/orange). Do I need to buy differant speakers? It should be no problem I guess. I will do what I can to make it so it doesnt have to run through my computer.

I guess all we need to figure out now is if that box supports my monitor... If so then I'm home free!

EDIT: I also have the option of useing this: Acer AL1916W

Last edited:
hey

Just remember you will need the Nintendo Wii Component cables, and will need to set the Nintendo Wii to output at 576p/480p (progressive scan), rather than the regular 576i/480i (interlaced) for the VD-Z3 to function.

I think the Nintendo Wii Component cables may be hard to get hold of, and I think you can only get the official ones from the Nintendo Online store (or maybe by phone) or something. I did come accross a 3rd party Nintendo Wii Component cable, but not sure of the quality of them (and be aware of the quite expensive postage cost, as I think they are shipped from hong kong). I also heard that Mad Catz (well known maker of console accessories) maybe making some Component cables, but arn't sure of this.

Ohh, and I just heard that the PAL systems actually output at 480p, rather than 576p (although I don't know if this is really so, as I read from a comment by someone called Harkan on a gonintendo.com blog). Hmm, I think this is nice news for you, but the bad news is what Harkan states about the availability of the official Nintendo Wii Component cables in Europe.
Harkan from gonintendo.com said:
NoE ansered me in an email that Wii is going to output 480p and doesn’t even upscale itself. It’s up to your TV to do so to get a fullscreen picture on PAL progressive TVs since Wii neither supports PALoptimal (540p) nor PAL progressive (576p) yet.

Oh, btw. I heard from my retailer that they won’t get Component Cables until mid/end of January so Europeans have it much worse to their hands on theses cables.

edit
Actually, I think the availability of the official Nintendo Wii Component cables is alike everywhere. So yea, just try and order them from somewhere online ASAP, as I don't think you will see them in stores for a while.

cyas

Last edited:
hey

Me again... I already got a response from VDigi Electronics.
VDigi Electronics said:
Hello Cyas,
firt of all, vd-z3 suport both 50hz and 60hz, it will auto select
depends on the source. thats mean it depends on what the source is.
Vd-z3 will output any signals at the same as what the input source.
thats mean if you feed in a 480p signal, it will output to RGB as 640x480.
720p will output as 1280 x 720. and so on.
for most of the monitors, they do not support interlace mode, such as
480i, for 480p or 720p, it should be no problem.
thanks
regards
sales support
Hehe, I think they think my name is "Cyas".

Okay, so my conclusion is that the PAL Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Component cable + VD-Z3 will only work on your monitor if the PAL Nintendo Wii really does output at 480p @ 60Hz, and not 576p @ 50Hz, as your monitor supports 640x480, but not 720x576 or 704x576.

Well there is one last thing, that is if the PAL Nintendo Wii really does output at 480, then does it output at 60Hz or 50Hz? I'm guessing at 60Hz. I'm not quite sure yet as to what this relates to in your monitor specs, but if it relates to the "Vertical Synchronization Range", and the Nintendo Wii outputs @ 50Hz, then you might be outa luck :\.

cyas

hey

Me again... I already got a response from VDigi Electronics.
VDigi Electronics said:
Hello Cyas,
firt of all, vd-z3 suport both 50hz and 60hz, it will auto select
depends on the source. thats mean it depends on what the source is.
Vd-z3 will output any signals at the same as what the input source.
thats mean if you feed in a 480p signal, it will output to RGB as 640x480.
720p will output as 1280 x 720. and so on.
for most of the monitors, they do not support interlace mode, such as
480i, for 480p or 720p, it should be no problem.
thanks
regards
sales support
Hehe, I think they think my name is "Cyas".

Okay, so my conclusion is that the PAL Nintendo Wii + Nintendo Wii Component cable + VD-Z3 will only work on your monitor if the PAL Nintendo Wii really does output at 480p @ 60Hz, and not 576p @ 50Hz, as your monitor supports 640x480, but not 720x576 or 704x576.

Well there is one last thing, that is if the PAL Nintendo Wii really does output at 480p, then does it output at 60Hz or 50Hz? I'm guessing at 60Hz. I'm not quite sure yet as to what this relates to in your monitor specs, but if it relates to the "Vertical Synchronization Range", and the Nintendo Wii outputs @ 50Hz, then you might be outa luck :\.

cyas

Great post.

This is exactly what i want to be able to do with my Wii when i get one.

I don't really have a modern TV, its quite old, so rather than shelling out for a brand new TV it'd be better to get an LCD screen and use it as a second screen for my laptop as well for console gaming.

Let us all know how you go with the setup.

art said:
Great post.

This is exactly what i want to be able to do with my Wii when i get one.

I don't really have a modern TV, its quite old, so rather than shelling out for a brand new TV it'd be better to get an LCD screen and use it as a second screen for my laptop as well for console gaming.

Let us all know how you go with the setup.

Yosh and I are talking in PM. Once it is all figured out I will edit my first post with all our information... Or all his information hehe

Last edited:
I have come to the conclusion that setting it up to my PC monitor is just not worth it in the end... I will just have to buy a tv and try find room for it somewhere.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this case, appreciate it a lot. Also learnt a fair bit :p

(I'll update main post with everything you guys have put together, just in case someone comes looking for this information.

I want to hook NTSC wii up to ASUS VW222S... What do you suggest? VGAbox, vga to compotent cable converter? What about this?Could you give me the dealextreme links for this products.

Last edited:
Back