I moved to Japan (wiikey question)

nick5

WiiChat Member
May 3, 2007
Hello!

I moved to Japan from Canada 2 months ago and brought my Wii along with me.
Luckily for me I havent downloaded the update 3.0 yet because I dont have a wireless router here like I did in montreal (might buy the USB thingy soon), you know, the one that blocks the Freeloader. If I had, I wouldn't be able to play some of my favorite GC games on my Wii anymore. And since I sold my GC, that wouldnt be good.

Anyway, I was eagerly awaiting the release of the Wii freeloader because I cant buy Wii games in Japan, they wouldnt work on my Wii (and I don't feel like ordering from USA/Canada every time I want a game).
But now that Nintendo has backstabbed hardcore gamers I can only assume that the Wii Freeloader will either be delayed or downright canceled if Datel cant make it bypass the block...

So, I have decided that investing in a Wiikey might be the most practical solution for me since Nintendo has blocked all legal ways of playing imports.
The ONLY things that I would use my Wiikey for is playing Japanese imports on my north american Wii, and MAYBE purchase a few "backups" to get back at Nintendo for being such a-holes and blocking Datel products. I'll most likely order the chip from some website and pay someone to install it for me (I've never modded a console before because the dreamcast was so import friendly and the GC used the freeloader... those were the only 2 consoles I played imports on).

So now that you understand my situation here are the questions:

-Once my WiiKey is installed in my Wii, can I safely download the Wii updates as long as I do it through the Wii options and not through a game (I learned through the search feature that you shouldnt dl through a game when you have a modchip)
-When playing a Japanese version of a game that supports online play (such as Pokemon Revolution of Smash Bros Brawl), will I be able to play it online with friends or do I have to keep it offline?
Important one:
-Does the WiiKey require some kind of installation with a disc? I don't have a DVD burner, so if it does, I might be screwed on this one (unless I find someone to buy a copy from).

That's pretty much all I need to know right now before I make the decision to order my Wiikey. Thanks in advance to anybody who helps.

PS. Does anyone know if Japanese Wii remotes work on North American Wiis? The guy at the store told me he didn't know for sure.
And what about gamecube controllers? Would they work on an american Wii? I know they'd work on a gamecube but what about a Wii.

Thanks.

Back