I played the Wii at Nintendo World Store @ NYC!!!

COLDshiver

Wii Owner
Sep 14, 2006
America
Wii Online Code
4532-8683-6668-7765
Pics added! Scroll down to my two picture posts!

omg! So i'm very lucky to have played the Wii, and just by coincidence! If you guys didn't know, today is the first day Nintendo World Store in Manhattan has playable Wiis. So here's a detailed account of my visit: (i'll try to be detailed as possible)

-Will add my pictures later, so tired right now but i have a ton, check out this post tommorrow to see my pictures!!

I woke up at 4:30 with my family to go to New York (4 hour drive, a very long 4 hour drive) from Boston. And boy, did it feel so long. Today was the day i was going to visit the Nintendo World Store for the first time because I never knew there was one until i saw it on IGN. My plan was to stop by there, run around crazy, and grab some Nintendo gear and head out and walk around some more around Rockafeller (is that how you spell it?) Plaza. I get to the place, find a place to park and head out to walk around at around 9am. New york is an awesome place but i have never in my life heard so many beeping horns.

There was at least one horn honked every 5 seconds, and i mean at least 1 every 5 seconds. It was crazy. So at around 11:30 I glimpse Nintendo world store! omg! I run and run and then stop.... a line. I said to myself: WTF a Fing line. Why?!? omfg. wtf. why. swearing under my breath. But then i look. What do i see? I see something very familiar: A tennis court on a screen. OMG! The Wii! I run to the end of the line, which didnt' seem to far but it was just so dam far away from the Wiis So i stand in line with my parents and sister. So we're waiting and waiting. And boy did Nintendo do a good job attracting people of all ages and types. It was so wierd. I saw little kiddies and even old people. Yes, old people. I also have never seen so many nintendo fanbois. It was crazy, i heard lots of new stuff like rumors and how the Wii was like at the fusion tour. Too many things too name though, especially right now i'm very tired. It was quite funny too, there was this one person who played the Wii and came out, running down the line and screaming: "OMG! I PLAYED THE WII! IT WAS AMAZING! OMG!". And people cheered and stuff, it was so funny. I would also like to thank the 'Soupman' restaurant for keeping me warm while in line. The line covered the door to it and I was freezing. btw, it was 41 degrees F. I got a warm Seafod brisque and the wii on my mind to keep me warm :D When i got close enough, i got to see their display of Wii boxes and stuff. The TVs that they had were SHARP hdtvs. It would have been very ironic for it to have Sony tvs but they didn't :) Nintendo did a very good job on every little detail

The line took soooo long. I got there at 11:30 and finally go in at 1:30 only to realize that there were more lines to get into and you got a raffle ticket. They held a ticket drawing every hour and the winner recieved a bag of Nintendo goodies. I didn't win anything though :( The chances were around 1 in 1000. The winners got a DS game and an assortment of Nintendo gear, from hats to tshirts to sweatshirts and every single one recieved a Wii shirt. They like let 2 people into the store every few minutes. But at least i got in and these lines were to specific games. The Wii games they had were Wii sports (all 5 games), Rayman, excite truck, monkeyball, and zelda. Zelda of course had the longest line and it was just too long. They had two lines to play any of the Wii Sports games except boxing. You could play one round of bowling, 2 rounds of baseball (pitch+bat), 2 rounds tennis, and 1 hole of golf. Another line was made specifically for Boxing because it required the Nunchuck. The last line went upstairs and split into smaller lines to play the other games. me and my sis got into the boxing line while my parents got into the other wii sports line. The zelda line was just too long but i think it would have been worth it. You get to play the whole beginning mission that you see in the videos, the one where you shoot dummies and kill these monsters and you stop at this giant door/vault thingy. I was in this line for about 45 minutes but it was worth it. So i finally was given the most precious thing in the world: a Wiimote+nunchuck. Wow! I was so amazed. The Wiimote isn't that small and is 'heavy' just like what IGN described it as. It's not like a brick but it's heavy enough that you notice that you are moving an object in your hand, instead of air. The nunchuck also fit in my hand perfectly. I was worried that it would be quite small and i was wrong, a good thing. The buttons on the nunchuck weren't too small either, quite the right size imo. The motion sensitivity was amazing. You can do jabs and punches and uppercuts and stuff. you can punch forward, punch down, punch high, etc. You block buy holding the Wiimote up like what real boxers do to cover their face. It was so amazing! You could bend to the left or right to get avoid the other guys punches and reminded me of the matrix when the guy missed me when i went to the right. it was just simply amazing! So it ended in 3 rounds and i won. knocked him out :lol:

While in line, for 45 minutes i watched other people play Wii sports and noticed quite a few things. First, i saw the menu! it's a nice light blue and the sports are on the left side with these bubbly buttons that you press. Also, for leftys you can adjust the settings. You can choose which hand you use for each individual game. I have a pic of that that i'll post as an edit later. If you didn't know already, the bat in baseball is 1:1 meaning that where ever the Wiimote moves, the bat moves. so you can swirl it around before you hit or just keep it still. The only gripe I have about it is that only the batter and pitcher has legs. After you make a hit and show the screen with the bases, all of the Miis legs disappear and the little Mii batter hops along to the bases. imo, it looked like a fast forwarded bunny hopping Mii :lol: kinda funny but unexpected. Wii tennis looked great too. The crowd though was quite empty and seemed to only consist of the other Miis stored on the Wii. My parents said it was really sensitive and accurate. When you sliced with the wiimote, the tennis ball was sliced across the court. you could also accurately aim the ball. If you didn't wave the wiimote fast enough, your ball would hit the net. You don't have to wave it too fast but it takes a little more effort. I don't really have much to say about golf, seemed fairly simple and the old guy that i talked about early almost got a hole in one :lol:

After i finished playing the the Wii, i took a picture with Pikachu! I went upstairs to get some gear. Aside from the regular cool Nintendo clothing featuring Zelda and mario, there was a Wii shirt. I could have gotten it but it just didn't look that cool. I'm not saying it's bad but i personally didn't like it. It was a white shirt with a wiimote and nunchuck on it and 11.19.06 on the back. I got a picture of it i'll show later. I did however get a red sweatshirt with Nintendo on it and a green shirt with "*green mushroom* = Life". Love it! I also took pictures of the history of Nintendo that had things from Famicom to gameboys. I also saw people play zelda, rayman, excite truck, dbz. (might have forgotten a few). Zelda btw looks amazing!

So my trip to Nintendo World Store has finally ended. Our plan didn't include waiting in line for so many hours so we had to go home. On our way out, we saw the people who were just behind us in the zelda line. They were halfway and it was 3pm already. They went behind us at around 11:45 so they had been waiting for like 3:15 hours lol! But i think it was well worth it. So i get home and now here i am describing my trip. After thinking about it, it means that had been standing and walking from 9am to 3pm. So i never sat down for 6 hours straight, wow.

If you have any questions or anything about what i saw or learned just ask.

-I would also like to point out: The Nintendo guy there said that the Wii graphics have been upgraded a little so that's good news :D
-EDIT: just remembered! A few more tidbits of info:

Along waiting in line, the Wii does attract many kinds of people, both non gamers and gamers. I saw single people and even couples waiting in line talking about the Wii. Really cool to see. I didnt' see just one couple, i saw lots of them dotted throughout the line. Not married people, like young 20-25 year olds.

Also when my parents played Wii tennis, they caught on really really quickly. And i mean really really quickly. Since we do play tennis in the spring my mom and dad caught on like instantly. My dad was pwning the computer :lol: with his slices and spins.

----------------------PIC TIME!!--------------------------

MORE PICS ON NEXT POST!

Also for left handed folks: My dad is left handed and he had no problem playing Wii Tennis :D Good news

Ok, my first batch of pics. My favorite ones and ones of interest along with my comments and description:

-Note: sry for the quality. i guess if you change the size of the pic to about 1 inch high, you get a really detailed pic lol
------

Omfg... the freaking long line. You can see the door a little further down with the window walls

A very tall man and another vew of the line:

My first glimps of a real life Wii box at their display window

My glimpse of inside the store: more lines :( Lucky bastards though

The door inside. So close!!!

The line to Zelda and other games. It starts on the bottom of the stairs and takes forever

Wii sports Tennis!

Wii sports warning sign lol!

Some wierd guy playing Wii boxing. Jk jk, it's me.

My Nintendo Wii guide who supported me throughout the boxing match lol. btw, of course all Wii units were manned

This lucky dude won the raffle. See the nintendo guy with the mic holding the gift bag?

A better view of the Wii in ll it's glory :D

A great picture of the Wii sports menu

After you pick the sport, you get to pick your Mii

After you pick your Mii, you confirm it

Left Handed Folks, even Nintendo is thinking of you ;) Here's the menu where you get to choose which hand you use

Because the Wii thinks it's the same person playing the Wii for 5 hours: at least they have safety first

Some Wii Baseball!! THe versus screen;

SCROLL DOWN TO MY OTHER POSTS FOR MUCH MORE PICTURES

Last edited:
w00t! Thanks for sharing that with us! Its awesome, and I'm VERY envious, go you! ;)

P.S You're parents must be weird if they're willing to wait in line for like.. ages for a games console. They sound cool! ;)

That's freaking nuts, If I lived anywhere around NY I definatley would have gone, I can't wait for the kiosks in stores, you really are quite lucky

Thanks for the details :)
And it made me laugh when you said the old guy said he almost got hole in one :lol: :lol:

Nice story. I think I'll ask my parents if I could go to the city tomorrow, it's only like 2 hours away... o.o

xP I'm so not reading all of that, but I get your point. *Nod nod* Congrats, buddy. Hope it was fun! xD

I'm contemplating, if the only Gamestop on the island has a Wii, if I should go in and play it, or save all the ****in' awesome experience for when I finally get it at launch. >.<

awesome info, thanks for sharing so much :) cant wait for zelda of course but I cant wait to play wii sports with friends and family :)

was the blue light on the wii disc port?:p just curious;)
you are lucky though. my mom would never do that. She hates gaming.
but i'm gonna try to get here addicted to wii.:lol:

Thats awesome :D Thanks for sharing. Can't wait till the 19th

was the blue light on the wii disc port? just curious?
No, it wasn't on. There were plenty of other lights though, blues and whites everywhere:

----------------

update on the images:

Turns out i have 80 images and it's going to take a very long time. I guess i'll do it in phases. I'll start with pictures of interest first and post them up. Then i'll post others asap. After they're all up, i'll stick them in a gallery.

Also: Sry about the image quality. I though they looked pretty good on the screen of my camera but when i viewed them on my computer, it's not all that great. They're not horrible (as you can see above) but still not that pretty.

Wow, what a line. I hope they aren't that long when they finally come to the local GameStops.
Thanks again for sharing, sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Back