IGN says YES, other sources says no

Arcadium

Not Banned
Jun 19, 2006
Colombia
Wii Online Code
6980-3796-3948-8393
IGN says that you can play VC and GameCube titles with the Classic Controller, although, web pages as Computer and Videogames say you can't do it...
Anyway, if you go to IGN again, and go to where the Classic Controller is, you'll see that in the Number 3, it says:

"To enable N64 and GameCube playbacks with the classic controller, nintendo has equiped it with a dual-analog in a layout very similar to the PS2 dual shock unit"

SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?

I have to know if I can play GameCube titles with the Classic Controller now! Seriously... because then Ill buy it for nothing.

You cant, in an interview with Perry Kaplan she says you can not use the VC Controller for GC games because the games simply are designed for them. Their 2 different controllers, its like trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

hey!

HOPE THIS HELPS a little ...
in a recent interview they say that GameCube controller can be used for any VC game ... sounds good since i don't need to buy an attatchment to play them! (NOTE: the classic controller got only 2 more buttons, the home and minus buttons... i think ninty is going to put a shorcut when u press start to use them (if there is case of using them both!)

Good thread, Arcadium!
I would say play it safe and just get a wired Gamecube controller or even better, a wireless Wavebird controller. This will allow you to play both Gamecube and Virtual Console games. Either wired or wireless, the Gamecube controller will be cheaper than the Classic Controller.

Last edited:
i think that if the classic controller work GC games then they wouldnt of bothered to put GC controller ports on the Wii

I don't understand why it wouldn't work, it has all the same buttons. It even has X, Y, and the C-Stick and If I remember correctly, the N64 never had those, but the gamecube does. Why would they add buttons they wouldn't need to?

The dudes at gamespot claim it can be used for the gc,but can you save the game? or do I need a gc memory card as well? More fuel for ya. I was told you can play the classic games or gamecube games.

NateTheGreat said:
Good thread, Arcadium!
I would say play it safe and just get a wired Gamecube controller or even better, a wireless Wavebird controller. This will allow you to play both Gamecube and Virtual Console games. Either wired or wireless, the Gamecube controller will be cheaper than the Classic Controller.

Thanks, but I think that the Classic Controller looks just more cooler than the Wavebird... anyway, if someone can PM nintendo (I can't), please ask them if we can use the Classic Controller to play GameCube games, if not, it was very stupid then...

Back