Insomniacs assemble!!

IDK why everyone is getting upset over ESO being pay 2 play. Almost every great MMORPG is P2P and the good ones that are F2P have a TON of microtransactions. The server costs for MMO's are huge. It's not like other online games where one of the players is the host. Most games have the main server that connects people but the games are hosted on players machines most of the time. With MMORPGs like WoW, Everquest, etc. the games are hosted on servers that have 1,000's of players. The operational and upkeep cost of them are huge. The payment goes towards keeping it running. If it does change to F2P I can bet you that microtransactions will pop up and it will become a pay2win game.

I do understand that not everyone can afford it and that sucks for them especially if you were excited for it but its not just to turn more of a profit. I know that some of the fee will make a profit but it isn't JUST to boost profits. There is a good reason for it.

Last edited:
IDK why everyone is getting upset over ESO being pay 2 play. Almost every great MMORPG is P2P and the good ones that are F2P have a TON of microtransactions. The server costs for MMO's are huge. It's not like other online games where one of the players is the host. Most games have the main server that connects people but the games are hosted on players machines most of the time. With MMORPGs like WoW, Everquest, etc. the games are hosted on servers that have 1,000's of players. The operational and upkeep cost of them are huge. The payment goes towards keeping it running. If it does change to F2P I can bet you that microtransactions will pop up and it will become a pay2win game.I do understand that not everyone can afford it and that sucks for them especially if you were excited for it but its not just to turn more of a profit. I know that some of the fee will make a profit but it isn't JUST to boost profits. There is a good reason for it.
... go back to DLC.

... go back to DLC.

You never have run an enterprise server have you? I took one of the small decommissioned ones from my work and set it up at home. My energy bill went from ~$120 a month to over $210 with just a low range server that cost $2,000 new. The ones MMO's use have well over 100gigs of buffered RAM (at a couple $100 a stick) and a few CPUs. A single server can easily cost well over $100,000. Take WoW for example. It has a SHIT TON of servers. Almost 500. So thats ~$50,000,000. on just servers. Next you gotta add the electric costs and upkeep if one fails plus spare parts. Plus they need network equipment to handle all of it. A Cisco core switch can cost ~$10,000. They will need a few of those. And with that level of network they will need to hire a CCIE consultant which usually charge $80,000 or more for a job. Not to mention special AC units to run 24/7 to keep everything cool. The cost is substantial. Well more per month than most people make in a year. Hell probably even 5 years. The initial purchase of the game may pay for it for a while but over time with upkeep and server costs, they would start to run into the negatives and any profit they made off the initial sale of the game would be lost. Especially if the game is anywhere near as successful as wow.

Anyways, I know that will fall on deaf ears since you have made up your mind and refuse to have any debate and refuse to see the big picture but I am at work and it's slow and I am bored so there ya go.

Woah, this is a serious insult coming from Assasin.
Meh. I stopped caring what people thought about me a few years back.

Last edited:
You never have run an enterprise server have you? I took one of the small decommissioned ones from my work and set it up at home. My energy bill went from ~$120 a month to over $210 with just a low range server that cost $2,000 new. The ones MMO's use have well over 100gigs of buffered RAM (at a couple $100 a stick) and a few CPUs. A single server can easily cost well over $100,000. Take WoW for example. It has a SHIT TON of servers. Almost 500. So thats ~$50,000,000. on just servers. Next you gotta add the electric costs and upkeep if one fails plus spare parts. Plus they need network equipment to handle all of it. A Cisco core switch can cost ~$10,000. They will need a few of those. And with that level of network they will need to hire a CCIE consultant which usually charge $80,000 or more for a job. Not to mention special AC units to run 24/7 to keep everything cool. The cost is substantial. Well more per month than most people make in a year. Hell probably even 5 years. The initial purchase of the game may pay for it for a while but over time with upkeep and server costs, they would start to run into the negatives and any profit they made off the initial sale of the game would be lost. Especially if the game is anywhere near as successful as wow.

Anyways, I know that will fall on deaf ears since you have made up your mind and refuse to have any debate and refuse to see the big picture but I am at work and it's slow and I am bored so there ya go.

None of that is valid if people don't buy the game. The backlash ESO has is tremendous and the game simply won't survive with the outdated subscription model.

Guild Wars 2 was recently said to be the fastest selling mmo. Apparently, they didn't get the mmo about efficient business models. Tera is f2p, and is a considerable success.

IDK why everyone is getting upset over ESO being pay 2 play.

srsly

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-ou-viability-ranking-thread.3473637/

Aww yeah, my two favs are pretty high up in the highest unbanned metagame. The lack of Porygon Z on the list depresses me a little, but I'm able to overlook that.

I CALLED IT THAT KELDEO WOULD BE TOP TIER I 'KARPIN CALLED IT ... Though it was a retardedly easy call. >_>;

Which'a these Pokes are you talkin' 'bout? All I see in A-rank is Pringlecent.

the game simply won't survive with the outdated subscription model.

What's a better subscription model than monthly? I ain't well-versed in P2P games with monthlies or micro-transactions 'n all that jazz, so I'm somewhat curious 'bout such things.

Which'a these Pokes are you talkin' 'bout? All I see in A-rank is Pringlecent.
Sableye and Sharpedo are middle B tier, which is pretty damn high for a Pokemon in general. Hydreigon, Reuniclus, and Rotom-W are high too.
Houndoom and Spiritomb aren't even on the list. Heh, suck it J.

Probs pretty high.

I had an urge to make another NU team yesterday. Then I realized, again, that I didn't really want to use most of the Pokemon available in the actual tier.

That's generally how it goes whenever I start making a new team.

Back