Is it true...???

dan007

Wii modifier
Jul 21, 2007
Space
hi everyone..i keep hearing rumers and satisfactory congrads from some of my friends...that theres a modchip that makes wii be able to play ... dvd's or save songs on your wii....
wellll tell me what you know or heard...
for more helpful info at www.wiihacks.com
later:)

I just leave my Wii as it is...I already have DVD player and I have an Ipod, so i'm fine..

The Wii already has a DVD drive. Do you really think a current gen game can fit on a measly old CD? Really, all that's needed for the Wii to play DVDs is a software upgrade. So it sounds like it could be true.

it may be true but i highly doubt it, and theres been alotta argument about wether the wii has a Cd or DVD drive and imo u doubt any current gen games could fit onto a CD, and paintballer says its got a DVD drive so id go with that.
I havnt heard of the chip but my Wii is stay stock, ive got a dvd player.

Wouldn't the wii's drive be a little different? It can play Gamecube disks. I just don't think Nintendo found it necessary to include a DVD program. Look at how many people have DVD players, Xbox's, and PS2's, aswell as PC's. http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-chat/5805-system-setup-pics.html.

I think it's great that Nintendo is sticking to their roots by not adding all these extra things. You watch, Nintendo will add a DVD player function and I'll feel like a tard for making this post lol.

The Wii has a DVD-ROM in it, which means that the discs you are putting into it ARE DVD's. The Wii does not have the capability to play DVD movies because the drive is not capable of decrypting a DVD and there is no DVD player software on the Wii.

Nintendo stated that since most people have at least one DVD player in their house, the added cost of allowing the Wii to play DVD's was unnecessary and might drive people away from the resulting slightly elevated purchase price.

As for the modchip, there are MANY in existence already. These chips not only let you play movies, but you can put NES, SNES and any other kind of emulator on a disc/SD card and play any and all ROMS from these systems. On top of that, the Wii modchips allow you to play copied Wii AND Gamecube games which means you would never need to buy another. The problem with modchips from my experience is that:

1) You have to open the Wii, voiding the warranty.

2) You need to do some soldering (quick solder is easy) and you may ruin your Wii (in the case of PAL Wii's, you can completely brick your Wii if you put in Super Paper Mario NTSC version)

3) Even if it all works out fine, you then become obsessed (As I did with original Xbox) of downloading/copying games and getting as many as possible, that you never get around to playing or enjoying any of them. You may not think this is a problem, but it seriously ruins the experience. I have not modded my Wii and I do not plan to anytime soon. I still relish in the experience of saving up to buy a Wii game (or getting one as a present) and being excited all the way home (or upstairs from the Xmas tree) and putting in that $30-50 game and enjoying the hell out of it. Call me crazy, but once I modded my Xbox (which I still love because it does do EVERYTHING), I no longer play Xbox games, I only use it for all of the extra things I did to it.

On the plus side, by modding your Wii, it opens the doors to play Gamecube homebrew software and hopefully soon Wii homebrew. Wii homebrew has tremendous potential meaning that ANYONE could make a Wii game. For this reason I may in the future mod my Wii, but not to copy/download/illegally steal Wii games.

The only other possibilites are soft-modding the Wii with the Gamecube Action Replay/SD Gecko trick, but this only allows you to play emulators and roms (which means you should never have to buy from the virtual console) and could play any old game you wish. I tried this method, but you need a good amount of accessories to do it (gets fairly expensive).

My site: http://strandalo.us

Last edited:
Ruslan1205 said:
The Wii already has a DVD drive. Do you really think a current gen game can fit on a measly old CD? Really, all that's needed for the Wii to play DVDs is a software upgrade. So it sounds like it could be true.

it does? i put in a DVD in my wii once and it didnt work... though the DVD was really sratched up and kinda dirty sooo.. im gonna go try again with a different dvd right now... BRB

eH9116 said:
The Wii has a DVD-ROM in it, which means that the discs you are putting into it ARE DVD's. The Wii does not have the capability to play DVD movies because the drive is not capable of decrypting a DVD and there is no DVD player software on the Wii.

Nintendo stated that since most people have at least one DVD player in their house, the added cost of allowing the Wii to play DVD's was unnecessary and might drive people away from the resulting slightly elevated purchase price.

As for the modchip, there are MANY in existence already. These chips not only let you play movies, but you can put NES, SNES and any other kind of emulator on a disc/SD card and play any and all ROMS from these systems. On top of that, the Wii modchips allow you to play copied Wii AND Gamecube games which means you would never need to buy another. The problem with modchips from my experience is that:

1) You have to open the Wii, voiding the warranty.

2) You need to do some soldering (quick solder is easy) and you may ruin your Wii (in the case of PAL Wii's, you can completely brick your Wii if you put in Super Paper Mario NTSC version)

3) Even if it all works out fine, you then become obsessed (As I did with original Xbox) of downloading/copying games and getting as many as possible, that you never get around to playing or enjoying any of them. You may not think this is a problem, but it seriously ruins the experience. I have not modded my Wii and I do not plan to anytime soon. I still relish in the experience of saving up to buy a Wii game (or getting one as a present) and being excited all the way home (or upstairs from the Xmas tree) and putting in that $30-50 game and enjoying the hell out of it. Call me crazy, but once I modded my Xbox (which I still love because it does do EVERYTHING), I no longer play Xbox games, I only use it for all of the extra things I did to it.

On the plus side, by modding your Wii, it opens the doors to play Gamecube homebrew software and hopefully soon Wii homebrew. Wii homebrew has tremendous potential meaning that ANYONE could make a Wii game. For this reason I may in the future mod my Wii, but not to copy/download/illegally steal Wii games.

The only other possibilites are soft-modding the Wii with the Gamecube Action Replay/SD Gecko trick, but this only allows you to play emulators and roms (which means you should never have to buy from the virtual console) and could play any old game you wish. I tried this method, but you need a good amount of accessories to do it (gets fairly expensive).

My site: http://strandalo.us

I hate how good posts always seem to be ignored on Wiichat.com. Thanks for that. Interesting how, with infinite downloadable games, the interest in playing them shrinks immensely. I could see that happening.
I'm sure you know that WiiWare is coming up, where small game developers can make their own Wii games, so I don't think it's worth modding the Wii.

Back