Is this a good laptop to buy

Latitudes are good solid computers
those are the ones they use at my school and they have lasted a long time

get at least a 3 year warranty. Preferably a 4 year warranty.

but not if you're one to replace them within that time periood.
+1 to the latitude.

and linux is not as great for general use as people say. xp is better.

rukus said:
but not if you're one to replace them within that time periood.
Due to the price premium of laptops, most people in my experience keep them at least 4 years.

and linux is not as great for general use as people say. xp is better.
Actually, Mac OS X is better. XP sucks. Vista sucks more. If you order a Latitude, you can still get them with XP.

I use none of those. FreeBSD for the win.

If all you want is web access and office tools, look at the Asus eee laptop. Their cheapest one is $300.

Once they go down in price, I will probably buy one for when I don't want to be stuck here at the desk. I think it will also be handy in the garage when I need to look up part numbers to call the store to find out that they are out of what I need.

I want an Eee too...but I would hardly recommend it as a primary computer.
The specs are ****, as well as the tiny display that can display five lines of text.

ROB64 said:
It's a pretty good one for the price range, but I strongly urge you and anyone with a computer to upgrade from windows to Linux:yesnod:
+1

FreeBSD is also very nice, but you have to be willing to spend some time editing conf files through the CLI, so it's obviously not very feasible for the average user...

Just install Mandriva or a variant of Ubuntu. And call the company you bought your PC from to get a refund on Windoze. (read the EULA, it says to do so if you don't agree with the terms)

Back