Language filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakuda

WiiChat Member
Jan 27, 2007
Wii Online Code
0000-0000-0000-0000
As far as I can tell, there is only once censored word on this site, the ever useful 'f' word.

However, I constantly see people who decide to bypass the filter by substituting characters with similar-looking symbols. Why is this permitted? If that is acceptable, why bother using the filter? Might as well turn it off completely. What is the point of a setting/rule if it is never enforced?

That being said, given the majority of the audience, there should probably be a few more words added.

I just realized I posted this in the lounge, when the Site Feedback section is more appropriate.

Last edited:
What do you mean only once censored word
Come on what age are you?
You tell us about bad grammar and look at what you do.

Oh and if you are an administarator on another site then why bother with this one

As smurf would say

WIN!

Racial slurs and attacks on someones sexuality are far more damaging and Wiichat encourages their use.

Care to provide an example?

Because last time I checked insults like those aren't tolerated here.

Side Note:

You also have to take into consideration wiichat has 12 moderators/super moderators..

Each day there are 3,000 posts made by various members

Which basically means there is 1 mod/250 posts...

Now you have to understand it would be a hard task for anyone to go through 250 posts... let alone deal with members personal situations, complaints etc..

Thus they can't go through every post which leads some people to believe that if they see a racial slur or insult here and there they believe its allowed, which it's not. So to due this forum a favor if you notice a a racial slur or insult just report it to a moderator via the report button or private message.

Last edited:
Syntax said:
Care to provide an example?

Because last time I checked insults like those aren't tolerated here.

Side Note:

You also have to take into consideration wiichat has 12 moderators/super moderators..

Each day there are 3,000 posts made by various members

Which basically means there is 1 mod/250 posts...

Now you have to understand it would be a hard task for anyone to go through 250 posts... let alone deal with members personal situations, complaints etc..

Thus they can't go through every post which leads some people to believe that if they see a racial slur or insult here and there they believe its allowed, which it's not. So to due this forum a favor if you notice a a racial slur or insult just report it to a moderator via the report button or private message.
i hope that was sarcasum, 250 is nothing.

Then look at it this way..

Stuff not accounted for...

- Mods daily life (work etc)
- Only 5 mods (not including i0n) have the power to moderate every section.
- Others can only moderate a certain section('s)..
- Not all mods are on during the day etc..

Not every mod is going to be able to go through x amount of posts and or threads to sift out the bad posts thus we have a report system. So if you notice a bad post just report it via pm etc. Also you still haven't provided an example :)

No...

Find the thread and go through a couple pages..

You will see my opinion on that subject..

Some swear words on another forum I vist are changed by a filter, which it kinda cool.

e.g. Pissed - Yellow Snowed

Also there are filters in some sections that alter peoples names for comical reasons...I think a fella named "Chavvt" is filtered to "Pikey boys pet hamster"

Im not recommending any of this, I jjust thought it was funny :lol:

Even though I started the thread I stopped reading once a few of the moderators were against the idea of stopping its use. I don't think the thread exists any longer

It shocked the hell out of me how hurtful the members here can be with no remorse including those mods.

Another great example is the use of the word "gay" as a synonim for stupid on this forum. Moderators do nothing about it and when members ask for the person to stop.

Even though I started the thread I stopped reading once a few of the moderators were against the idea of stopping its use. I don't think the thread exists any longer

It shocked the hell out of me how hurtful the members here can be with no remorse including those mods.

In my opinion most of the members here didn't even know what it meant and or stood for. Also I believe most members here were using it as an abbreviation and not an insult. Or atleast thats what I remember from that thread.

Another great example is the use of the word "gay" as a synonim for stupid on this forum. Moderators do nothing about it and when members ask for the person to stop its ignored.

Can't say I disagree with you there. I hate seeing the word "gay" being used as an insult towards others. Pathetic if you ask me.

paintba||er said:
Censorship = BullShit
I think the fact that children use sites like these is more than enough reason to have a filter. Heaven forbid people talk without having to swear anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back