Language filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Syntax said:
In my opinion most of the members here didn't even know what it meant and or stood for. Also I believe most members here were using it as an abbreviation and not an insult.
You are right. However not knowing the meaning behind a word and using the incorrect abreviation are not a good excuse. I cited reputable sources (I could have provided more) and stated my case without anger or attacking anyone.

Moderators are like the ambassadors of Wiichat. If they are for using a racial slur then doesnt that mean Wiichat itself supports it?

If not then I am sure the Administrators were aware of that thread. Since nothing was done about the words use then Wiichat is not discouraging its use and in my mind that is the same as supporting its use.

wii_cammy said:
Gay means happy
Sorry but the context is important in this case. If you read the posts where "gay" is used replacing it with HAPPY makes no sense.

Everytime someone uses the term GAY in this manner it is like a slap in the face for a homosexual person or the people that care about them. You feel even worse when the Moderators/Administrators of this site do nothing to the person who wrote it.

ciper said:
Sorry but the context is important in this case. If you read the posts where "gay" is used replacing it with HAPPY makes no sense.

Everytime someone uses the term GAY in this manner it is like a slap in the face for a homosexual person or the people that care about them. You feel even worse when the Moderators/Administrators of this site do nothing to the person who wrote it.
if homosexual people were offended by the word "gay" then they would call their pride parades a Gay Pride Parade. and how in the HELL does not thinking the term jap or gay being offensive mean we encourage their use? if we see it used in a hurtfull mannor, we will remove it. however if someone uses the term chinc (or however its spelled), ni**er, beaner, wetback or other words like that, we will get rid of them when we see them. i know about 3 gay people. they couldnt care less if someone uses the word gay. however they DO care if they are using it to be hurtfull to them being gay. they dont care if they hear someone call another person gay because they did something dumb. now terms like ni**ger are diffrent. black people (most anyways, i know some who dont) get mad when someone uses that word. thats what you never hear "ni**ger power!" or things like that. just drop the damn subject. its really starting to piss me off

(p.s. screw being professional right now. this is my rant. good day)

EDIT: back on topic. i do think i0n needs to add some words to the language filter. ill make a post in the staff lounge about it

wii_cammy said:
What do you mean only once censored word

You tell us about bad grammar and look at what you do.

:lol: once censored? damn...he owned you without even lifting a finger...

I know I owned him

dakuda said:
As far as I can tell, there is only once censored word on this site, the ever useful 'f' word.

However, I constantly see people who decide to bypass the filter by substituting characters with similar-looking symbols. Why is this permitted? If that is acceptable, why bother using the filter? Might as well turn it off completely. What is the point of a setting/rule if it is never enforced?

That being said, given the majority of the audience, there should probably be a few more words added.

I just realized I posted this in the lounge, when the Site Feedback section is more appropriate.

Last edited:
Jay61 said:
I think the fact that children use sites like these is more than enough reason to have a filter. Heaven forbid people talk without having to swear anyway.
Why? They have already heard the words, and if not they have to hear them some time. Giving up freedom for temporary security is very stupid. They are just words anyway. They don't hurt anyone so I don't see why parents shield their children from such things.

They don't hurt anyone so I don't see why parents shield their children from such things.

I have to strongly disagree with you there..

Mitch2025 said:
if homosexual people were offended by the word "gay" then they would call their pride parades a Gay Pride Parade. and how in the HELL does not thinking the term jap or gay being offensive mean we encourage their use? if we see it used in a hurtfull mannor, we will remove it.

Unfortunately the search doesnt work with three letter words or I could give examples. Gay is not automatically an offensive term (gay pride parade). On this site people use the term gay as a syninim for stupid and thats when it becomes offensive. I have yet to see one person on this forum use the term gay in a positive sense.

On the other hand "jap" is always an offensive term no matter your intentions. The globally accepted abreviation for Japan is either JP or JPN. In the other thread I proved this but your closed mind prevented you from seeing it.

I cannot figure out how you became a moderator. You let your personal opinions interfear with your duty as a neutral moderator. I can only imagine you are friends with someone in control.

ciper said:
On the other hand "jap" is always an offensive term no matter your intentions. The globally accepted abreviation for Japan is either JP or JPN. In the other thread I proved this but your closed mind prevented you from seeing it.
so i guess you dont like the term yankee? the british called americans that as a form of insult. i guess we should all sue the new york yankees to change their name. after all, the term was first made up as an insult. ill let you post your response then im locking this thread

So words hurt you? If I say oh ****. That hurt you? Sorry, but I just find it completely moronic.

No, but if you were to insult someone using racial slurs and or other filtered words I'm pretty sure they would be offended and possibly somewhat hurt.

Syntax said:
No, but if you were to insult someone using racial slurs and or other filtered words I'm pretty sure they would be offended and possibly somewhat hurt.
Things like that should be dealt with by the mods on a case to case basis rather than censoring the words since they can be used for things other than racism. How does it make it any better if it is censored anyway? You can still tell what they were trying to say. If I say you are a stupid **** you know what I was trying to say and it wouldn't be any worse if it was uncensored.

Mitch2025 said:
so i guess you dont like the term yankee? the british called americans that as a form of insult. i guess we should all sue the new york yankees to change their name. after all, the term was first made up as an insult. ill let you post your response then im locking this thread

I invite you to read the Wikipedia page on the term Yankee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee . There you will see its most common use is neither positive or negative.
If you read note 5 "Johnathan Hastings of Cambridge, Massachusetts was attributed around 1713 to regularly using the word as a superlative, generally in the sense of excellent"

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/50288716
Login with username ciscoisd and password titans

I assume you know the song "yankee doodle" ?

When I read the Merriam Webster dictionaries definition I find no evidence of it being negative
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/yankee

Your attempt at analogy was good but still does not apply.

Close the thread if you like. It only serves to prove that once again Wiichat supports the use of attacks on others race or sexual orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back